Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeeez! reading posts is sure weird with all the distracting links to draw away from the read. Why is this like this. Can it be removed by a command line in our preferences or something?

Hmmmm, 2005 Mustang Throttle Body Headers Exhaust mufflers wheels sex alcohol Rock n Roll drugs

(just testing a few!)

·
Registered
767 Posts
EEEEKKKK... hafta start misspellin stuff jest to keeep it from happenin'.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Get Rid of the ADVERTISEMENTS!!!

Ok, now I have seen it all. Perfectly good posts SPAMMED full of nonsense ads. I agree... everyone misspell anything that could possibly have one of these spam ads stuck in it. Who the heck cares about Co rvette Rea r Win dows, or Tr u ck Tra ilor Hit ches? Not me!!!!! :sterb: :madas: :mad:

P.S. I just had to edit my signature to get rid of the stupid SPAM ads in it!!! :madas:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't come to this forum very often, but I probably won't be back if the ads stay. It's very distracting and irritating. I was hoping this place was better than that kind crap.

·
Registered
158 Posts
BOOOOOO for ads. Air Bags Heated Seats Wheels Tail Lights Ford Car Mustang Cobra

Ah it sucks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Holy Crap you're right. What the F#*k happened!!! Hey Kj cinci, did you allow this? I know you patrol this site like a friggin Nazi! Why don't you make yourself useful and fix it.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Looks like the site owners have done this, all I can say is that it seems hypocritical when we get bombed for putting up a link to a usefull add and now this happens :nogrinner
Man Gig, your sig is full of them, like a disease. :evillol:

Spoiler, Spoiler, Spoiler, Spoiler, Spoiler, Ha Ha, just playing,

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
ckp73 said:
Holy Crap you're right. What the F#*k happened!!! Hey Kj cinci, did you allow this? I know you patrol this site like a friggin Nazi! Why don't you make yourself useful and fix it.
Dude, dudes and dudets!

I just got back from work, grabbed a beer and sat down for some Stang talk... what's all the green chit?!!? Even in my frigging PMs!

I'll fwd and concure with the complaints! :sterb:

PS. No need for name calling... I think I'm plenty usefull many voulnteered hours a day! Just ask my wife! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
What I use to combat this is Firefox and install the extension Adblock .

Then I add the filter " http://*.intellitxt.* "

G

·
Sorry guys about causing all of this fuss tonight.

To start let me say yes we can definately remove the intellitext ads if they are an issue or inconvenience to you our members but first, please let me outline the following reasons and rationale behind why we implemented it in the first place:

(1) To help offset some of the cost of running this site and pay for a needed server upgrade, without adding any cost or inconvenience to our members.

(2) Before proceeding, we first verified that a number of the other mustang sites have already implemented intellitext in their forums (for quite some time) and checked to see if there were any issues with their members.

(3) Where only keywords relevent to site members highlight and Where ALL highlighted keywords would be automotive/mustang related, we thought it would actually add some value to members. Strictly automotive/mustang related website links that could be of interest to our members and definately no off-topic tampon, shampoo, perfume, or other non-related topics.

(4) We see intellitext as not so much a popup ad service but more of a non-intrusive keyword url link, that only displays a small "more info" box if and when the mouse houvers over the highlighted keyword. Presumably this happens when a member is interested in seeing what the highlighted keyword website is about, without having to click on it first.

(5) We implemented it so that it only appears in the 1st post of a thread and not in the entire thread. We truly believed by implementing it like this, it would have little or no negative impact on our members.

(6) Before putting them in the forums, we first tested it for 3 to 4 weeks on other sections of the site to see if it was indeed acceptable to our members and received zero complaints.

Given we are trying to generate sufficient revenue to maintain the site and funds for a needed server upgrade, we thought this was a good approach since there is no cost or inconvenience to our members. ie: a good solution to help keep our site online and at the same time possibly ad some value to our members. Perhaps we were wrong. If you, our members do find it intrusive, bothersome or without value then we certainly can and will pull it from our site, but first lets make sure is indeed the case.

It is now well after 12 in the morning here in Newfoundland so I am going to turn in and give you all more time to post your thoughts and opinions on this. As always, our members count and you guys have the final say, so please continue to post so we can hear directly from you guys our members. Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Keep it or chuck it --- Please post a reply and let us know what you think either way!

Cheers,

·
Registered
183 Posts
I come to this site (and other like it) to learn and maybe help others out. If the ads help keep this site up & running, keep it free and they aid in offsetting the cost of doing so, then I see no issue with it. Considering this is fairly common practice with other public forums, I think we've all become accustom to it and can live with this minor inconvenience.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ok, I can understand the need to generate new revenue. But to start doing this without any notice was a bit unnerving.
There are several threads where the intellitext stuff isn't limited to just the first post. I have also come across (in my sig for example) links that have zero to do with the Mustang community. i.e. my "rear window" mod was linked to some Corvette sight.
I agree with pcfrisch that you get all bent out of shape if we mention a dealer name or something in one of our posts, and then the intellitext stuff links you to used car sights, new dealer sights, etc. Kinda hypocritical if you ask me.
As for unintrusive... trying to move your mouse through the threads causes popups to jump out at ya! Very annoying.
Ok, I am done ranting... back to reading. I think I will try the filter idea posted by GhostDog 5.0. :wavey

P.S. Woohoo! The filter idea works! No more stupid links!! Gotta love Firefox. Thanks GhostDog 5.0! :laughlitt

·
Registered
767 Posts
Personally, I would rather donate. I am a $$ contributor on all three of the other Mustang forum boards that I spend my time at, would not mind doing the same thing here. And not to nitpic, but this board is (sometimes ) somewhat slow as it is, now it is slower because of the keyword ads.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't mind them much, and definitely prefer to keep things free. They are way better than ads with sound, or those ads that come up over what you are trying to read and then scroll with you :mad:.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Half-n-Half

I can live with it being in only the first post; just get it OUT of our signatures. Those are kind of a personal "this is me" thing and most, I believe, don't want that crap there. On the other side I'm just as comfortable giving $$ to keep the site up and running. How many members do we have (routinely active that is)? Let's figure up how much a new server would be and see what each could donate.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I figured it was a revenue generator, much less obtrusive than pop ups or ads scrolling along, I can live with it if the site remains free.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Donate to alziemers! That should link to donate for AFM!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Intellitex slows down the page loads, makes posts harder to read. Uses usefull and personal posts of members to advertise products WE may not support!

And people wonder why Adblock and firefox are used so heavily by savy users. Thank god I 've got the entire spamtastic domain blocked already thanks to "other" forums who use the service.

Perhaps one might want to think more along the lines of say offering a USEFULL product to offset the costs of the site. Lets see some AllFordMustangs labeld car covers, decals, hats, ect. Not more ads.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I joined this site for it's clean look and 'hard kept' rules... The bold, double underlined, green, words are not clean!

They are in more than the first posts, they're also all over PMs and in signatures! Glad to see that some HTML is working in the sigs... :winks

As I do understand $$ is needed to run a site like this I hope that the admin can find a better way! Howabout sponsored product reviews... or give them a thread here and there. Brand names like C&L, Steeda, JLT, MT, FRPP, and others sell allot of stuff through ours and similar sites... a registered hit linked from here most pay more than those green things we all try to avoid.

Under products have a featured products section where the brands can pay to have their ads and compete with eachother for price.

I've worked hard to keep the cardealers of off here as we don't want car delaers and salesmen working the site getting their name and conntact info in on every thread... Now they can pay and get it done for them...

I'm gonnna have to think about this, as there MUST be a better way!

Vandil said it very well above!

Edit: A few minutes later... I'm already getting used to them... even looked at a few... Maybe I should get a mercedes, lol, no, but there was one for a CAI and another one for stronger axles...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts