Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I own a 2006 mustang gt convertible with a roush m90 supercharger and the extra 15hp air intake. Im new with cars so im not sure if this possible but when I put forged internals into the car i wanna keep the m90 on there cause i love the whinning sound it makes :D. So if i were to put cnc aluminium heads, thumpr cams, 2.49 vmp pulley, long tube headers with x pipe, sct tune, 60lb injecters, blaster coils. Would this setup work? Also is there anything else I can add to this list and does anyone know approx how much hp I will be making? Thanks

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Believe your limiting factor is still going to be the M-90, they can only push so much air with out dramatically increasing the heat. Dump them heads, headers and everything else and to for the TVS 2300. I miss the whine but the extra power makes up for it. Bigger heat exchanger and better clutch would be need also.
Dave

S

·
0 Posts
You don't want to get aftermarket coils. OEM are better than the majority. I have had good luck with weaponX ignition but they are pricey and unnecessary. That whole 60lb injector thing....well there is math involved for what size you actually need. You will want the injector at a certain % of maximum duty cycle to give the best atomization. There is a formula involved and a tuner will know what size injectors that are needed. You might want to call VMP tuning and talk to Justin and see what he has for advice. There was a guy on here earlier that had mutha thumpr cams and lost 50rwhp, that's bad. If you must have the sound then maybe FRPP hotrod cams or Brenspeed's Detroit Rocker cam that is similiar to the FRPP hotrod version. If you were to use a serious cam like a comp cam 127350 along with stage 2 (livernois) heads in conjunction with longtubes AND the pulley package from VMP you might have a reason to even go forged. The M90 pullied out with supporting mods should be at the 420-430rwhp mark. Put on the longtubes and your at 435-445rwhp, add the cam and heads and you might be at 500-510rwhp. You will have zero headroom for growth with the motor unless you supplement with nitrous. However from the mods you listed it sounds like you want a car that sounds super bad-ass. Longtubes and detroit rocker/FRPP hotrod cams combo will give you that. All that to say the same thing Dave said above. Your car is your car and so is your goals though. I think you woud be better served if you defined those goals, posted them here, and called a couple vendors and we can give you feedback before you decide to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I will defintly come to you guys before doing this. This will probably be my summer project because im only 16 and i just started driving this thing and I want it to be ready to go and exactly how I want it when i turn 17. I just got home now from picking up a hurst billet plus short shifter lol. So will this setup gurantee the 500rwhp? Thats pretty much all i want and still have the m90 on there. THanks guys

S

·
0 Posts
I'm not saying it WILL be a 500rwhp car. I'm giving an estimate which is why I say call vmp. I have a similar blower and the most you can get out of it is 550rwhp. That is with stage 3 heads, big cam, max boost pulley, long tubes and a 5 liter forged stroker. Lotta money.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
OP dont forget the big cams can have driveability issues. Nothing worse than a car that bucks at low rpms in a parking lot. I had a big cam in my 94 GT and at low rpms it sucked really bad. And with a really small pulley belt slip might rear its head. And as others said heat will be a problem because you are taking the blower out of its efficiency range. A TVS upgrade is really worth loooking into. Im just throwing things out there for you to consider before making your choice.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Me - 4.6 forged bottom, TVS with stock heads and cams and exhaust manifolds. Haven't had it dyno'd yet but identical set-ups are 505-525 rwhp. Absolutly no drivablity problems and get 20-22 mpg on the interstate. Pulley change and re-tune and would be at 600 rwhp. Happy where I'm at.
Dave

B
0 Posts
Yea I will defintly come to you guys before doing this. This will probably be my summer project because im only 16 and i just started driving this thing and I want it to be ready to go and exactly how I want it when i turn 17. I just got home now from picking up a hurst billet plus short shifter lol. So will this setup gurantee the 500rwhp? Thats pretty much all i want and still have the m90 on there. THanks guys
You will not get 500 to the tire with a M90 unless you go to the extreme (read $$$$)...and not to be a d*&k but at only 16 yoa you do not need it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The mutha thumpers aren't made for a supercharged engine. The specs show that the LSA is only 109 degrees if I remember right so you will just be leaking boost straight out your exhaust (resulting in less power)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The mutha thumpers aren't made for a supercharged engine. The specs show that the LSA is only 109 degrees if I remember right so you will just be leaking boost straight out your exhaust (resulting in less power)
I hadn't even looked at the specs for any cams mentioned but excellent point. Mine have a lobe separation of 116.5 degrees, suited for SC engines.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I hadn't even looked at the specs for any cams mentioned but excellent point. Mine have a lobe separation of 116.5 degrees, suited for SC engines.
116.5 is awesome. I wish everything would go according to plan, but it never does

·
Registered
182 Posts
Im going through the same problem right now. I am in a tight spot because I love the sound that the cams make at idle but I have had so many problems with the cams that over $2000 has been spent since christmas and I just got a saleen supercharger. I can install the supercharger and it should be just fine, just less power than it should be with the stock cams or cams that have a higher LSA. Which should be what the OP would go through if he got these cams.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you guys are pretty much saying its not worth all this money to upgrade my engine with the m90? Also what if i did long tubes, x pipe, 2.49 pulley, roush supercharger intake, injectors, maybe different coils and heads? How much power would i be getting there. But im not gonna do anything to the car right now since it doesnt have a forged bottum end.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
So you guys are pretty much saying its not worth all this money to upgrade my engine with the m90? Also what if i did long tubes, x pipe, 2.49 pulley, roush supercharger intake, injectors, maybe different coils and heads? How much power would i be getting there. But im not gonna do anything to the car right now since it doesnt have a forged bottum end.
You can do all that without the forged bottom end, you only really need that when you get into high-horsepower ranges.

You'll need the intake and injectors anyway. Different coils would be a waste of money. By heads I assume you mean ported and polished, those would be good if you can afford them. But the small pulley would make the M90 like a spaceheater or something under your hood, overworking it and creating massive heat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so the 2.49 isnt a good thing to get? I should just get the 2.55? Also if i do the heads, exhaust, headers, 2.55 or 2.49 pulley and a good tune i wont need to forge the bottum end? IM just asking because i just got the car and im only 16 so i dont want this thing to blow up on me before I even get my license.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was just watching some videos on the tvs they seem like pretty nice superchargers. So if i decied to get the tvs which kit do I get also I wanna now if i decieded to go forged internals and all that how much would everything cost installed and all. Also would I need to beef up the rear or tranny or clutch? Also if i decieded to sell the m90 with 12,000 miles on it how much would that go for?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Ok so the 2.49 isnt a good thing to get? I should just get the 2.55? Also if i do the heads, exhaust, headers, 2.55 or 2.49 pulley and a good tune i wont need to forge the bottum end? IM just asking because i just got the car and im only 16 so i dont want this thing to blow up on me before I even get my license.
If you don't even have a license yet who not try the stock hp first? Why the need for more already? Should get your feet wet first IMO.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
My saleen twin screw has a killer whine, sounds like a beast at full tilt. But like everyone else has said the m90 was good in its day, but thats past and it will limit you a lot. That's what holds back the Terminators, once a twin screw gets droped on them they are crazy fast.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea I understand and hubkap i drive the car now but with a parent LOL. Also can you guys recommend good heads that I can put on the car.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts