Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 convertible GT and I have been working on switching it over to multi-port fuel injection, so I bought a 91 GT for the wiring harness and other parts that I would need. The trans that was in my 85 had a vacuum kickdown so I ended up using the AOD from the 91 as well. Everything bolted up nice but when I cranked the bolts tight, it was too tight, and now the motor wont turn over. I used the spacer, but it almost looks like the flywheel is rubbing on it. I loosened all the trans bolts and backed it out, and now it can turn over by hand, but it turns over really choppy. Almost as if the torque converter isnt seated all the way in the trans. Is there something I may have over looked when I made the swap?? It should be cut and dry, bolt it up and I would be ready to go, but even the starter is sitting too close to the flywheel and binding it up. Is there some kind of spacer that I need to buy?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Was your previous trans a 3 speed? I'd never heard of an AOD
with a "vacuum kickdown".

If it was a 3 speed (C-4 probly or C-5) you would need to have
used the flexplate with the AOD, not from the trans that was
in your car.

Also, did you make sure the converter was all the way onto
the stator support and the flats on the converter snout fully
into the pump?

When you bolted the trans up to the engine, the converter
should have been behind the flexplate a ways - there
should have been mayb 1/2" clearance between the ends
of the studs on the converter and the rear of the flexplate.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I know this sounds kinda common sense, but did you make sure to put the tranny in neutral when you bolted it up?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The transmission in netral doesn't mean anything. It sounds like you didn't get the converter all the way into the transmission. I build converters so I will give you accurate figures on spacing. The converter should be at least 1/8 inch away from the flexplate and no more than 1/4 inch.
Alan

·
Registered
897 Posts
like dirtydog said.you need to make sure the convertor is all the way in the tranny.when you bolt up the tranny be sure the convertor stays in place,nice and easy on the install.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My roomates installed an aod behind a 5 liter in a fox. It was not obvious to any of us to install the torque converter onto the transmission before installing the tranny. The trans was bolted up to the converter while it was still bolted to the flexplate. Considering Ive been working on cars over a decade and this wasnt obvious to me maybe it isnt obvious to most that havent done it before. ( ive done mostly body/restoration work, my cars are all manuals. I hate autos.) Maybe theres a need for a sticky on this somewhere? By doing this, did the torque converter get damaged in any way?.... Same symptoms, starter clicks, but motor wont turn. They are in the shop now pulling it back out since I read this thread. We do have another torque converter that came with the used tranny. Im not sure if we should use that one or the original from the car. The original looks to be in much better shape than the used one. Maybe someone has replaced it at sometime. If its not messed up from bolting it up i think it would be best to use the better condition one.

·
Registered
304 Posts
when you bell the transmission and get it flush on the dowels make sure that you can still spin the torque converter before you put any bolts in.. then get all the bellhousing bolts in and tighten them evenly so it doesnt go in crooked.. then once the bells are all tight check the converter again before putting any of the converter bolts in if you tightened all the bellhousing bolts and the converter is jammed up which is definitely what is going on then you could have damaged something.. ive seen it done- (i work at a tranny shop).. the kid would up having to put a new input shaft and pump in the tranny because when he tightened the bell bolts the converter wasnt all the way in the trans and it got jammed crooked into the tranny and ruined the pump shaft

·
Registered
304 Posts
also you should notice that the converter wont spin when you go to try and put all the converter bolts in...if its locked up you wont be able to turn the crankshaft to get all the bolts into the TC. so that should be the first sign that you would have to unbolt the tranny and push the converter in all the way

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Common mistake is not getting the torque converter to slide onto the pump. If you don't get it on the pump, it will stick out about an extra 1/2 inch and it will hit the flexplate before the trans hits the block.

When you tighten down the trans, make sure the torque converter is not be pressed into the flexplate. There should be some clearance even when you tighten the trans down to the engine.

If the trans doesn't basically slide right up to the engine, NEVER PULL IT IN WITH THE BOLTS. If you do this and your converter isn't on the pump all the way, chances are you'll break either the teeth on the pump or converter, or you'll break the bellhousing.

It's a bummer when you break the teeth on the pump or converter and don't realize it until you go to drive the car...

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
If you installed the torque convertor and tranny without it being seated in the third click. You will be most likely rebuilding your trans. Most likely you broke the pump gear.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have another aod I can harvest the pump, drive gear, driven gears from.. do you think that it just jacked up the gear or it would have bent the input shaft? theyre gonna pull it out here in a few, ill try and swap the pumps in the morning.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not a ghost. Im here. I would like to know if their are any more intricacies that I may run into. I have an exploded diagram of the AOD. Gonna give the pump swap a shot. If not theres a junkyard warranty on it... theyll never figure it out with the swapped pump in there... bahahahha!... evil!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts