Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any one has under coated their stang to protect it from all the salt and etc? Here in Montana, they only use salt in the worst of the winter.. I thought about California and the salty air. So, Has anyone done this??

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I had mine rust proofed by the dealer against salt right from the get go! I have done this with all cars I have owned,and have never seen rust on any of them.
Mine's a daily driver, that includes winter driving (with snow tires on) Even if it was just a summer ride only,I would still have it sprayed... this stuff they applied is a wax based "creeping" rust protection and it's a one time application.
I much rather have a degree of protection on my under carrage than nothing at all,but I intend to keep this GTCS for a long time!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm planning on using Boeshield T9 or Sharkskin to try and protect the nooks and crannies underneath. Sure, might not be as tough as a dedicated undercoat, especially in exposed areas, but neither should offer any potential to trap moisture while still providing great protection in the hidden rust-traps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I will most likely POR-15 the underside of my car at some point. I don't think I can use it this way, but I'd like to coat the axle and differential with the stuff. The surface rust looks disgusting on such a new car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had mine rust proofed by the dealer against salt right from the get go! I have done this with all cars I have owned,and have never seen rust on any of them.
Mine's a daily driver, that includes winter driving (with snow tires on) Even if it was just a summer ride only,I would still have it sprayed... this stuff they applied is a wax based "creeping" rust protection and it's a one time application.
I much rather have a degree of protection on my under carrage than nothing at all,but I intend to keep this GTCS for a long time!
Sounds like Krown which my Canadian friends recommend. I'd really like to see that in the States but no luck so far. Boeshield worked exceptionaly well on a 40 year old Buick I once had but is (I think) only available in aerosol cans, making spraying the whole undercarriage a PIA. I emailed Krown and will do so again; I think it's the way to go...

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Where did you have it done and what was the cost?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I drive my car year round as well, and in the winter time I just rinse the salt off of the body and undercarriage about once a week to two weeks.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Back in the 70's and 80's the dealers used to sell undercoating as a dealer-applied item. As I recall one of the brand names was Rusty Jones and they had a "life time" warranty. My father-in-law had his work van done and when it developed a rust hole in the sliding door about 3" from the bottom he took it back for a warranty repair.

The dealer referred him to a representative for Rusty Jones and so had to drive it to some regional facility, which luckily for him wasn't too far. The rep looked at the hole then told him that it was the factory seam so it wasn't covered. My father-in-law said that it obviously wasn't the seam because it was 3" above the seam. The rep said, basically: 'then sue us'.

Apparently that was Rusty Jones' business model; to sell a product that basically did nothing, at high profit and pay out as little in warranty work as possible, knowing that the costs for individuals to sue them would be more than they could hope to recur.

I lived in the rust belt for years and had my share of heart break with my treasured vehicles slowly rusting away. I tried all kinds of rust preventives from aerosol cans containing fish oils, rustoleum paints, roofing cement, and both active and passive cathodic protection. The best results that I achieved were with nothing, just keeping the underside clean.

Finally I gave up and moved South. :smartass:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.