Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of picking me up some but i read that they slow down appliences up to 20 % ?? wat exactly does that mean?? like how can u slow down my radio? lol...and do they actualy give a sagnificant power increase to be worth it?
thx
james

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Well, James, the smaller drive pulley which goes on the end of the crankshaft, slows the belt down. So, all of the driven pulleys i.e. accessories are being turned slower. Most pulley sets come with smaller alternator and waterpump driven pulleys which speed those two items back up, so as to not have as negative of an impact on the car's charging and cooling systems.
There has been some debate in this forum, over whether or not to install the smaller alternator pulley. I say install it. I believe that leaving the original larger pulley on there will turn the alternator slower than the smaller aftermarket one will. (Though, leaving the original driven pulleys on the car will net a larger horsepower increase.) The AC compressor, smog pump, and power steering pumps will all be turning slower, as the pulley kits don't supply smaller pulleys for them.
Check out the effects of shifting the gears on a ten speed bike. This is a perfect illustration of how sizing affects both drive(pedal crank) and driven(rear wheel gear cluster) pulleys/gears.
Smaller drive = slower belt.
Smaller driven = faster spinning accessories.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i was considering some as well. i have a 130amp alt. so that should help with charging. im really not wanting to do all that work just to make more problems for myself... i probably wont get them. but hey man, if you go for it, let me know how it goes. i read they average about +15 hp??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.