Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
if this is a daily driver you will probably have issues with your car overheating, and charging issues too. I run them on my car for a while and had to remove them ,

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it this brand only that seems to have these issues, maybe the diameters are slightly different than others?
Or is this a common occurrence with underdrive pully systems?
I will be running alt, PS, WP and crank only. If I upgrade to a 3G alt will I still have the charging issues?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have underdrive pullies in my daily driver. Never even come close to having the car overheat.

Also I have a Kicker amp/sub rated for 941watts. Don't have a problem with the car staying charged.

Maybe I'm just a lucky one or maybe people just use scare tactics.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Im not a fan of the under drives never had cooling isuues but did have charging issues, and that was with the ford under drives. I ran all of them but the alternator one for a bit, than reverted back to stock when I went boosted.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I've been running the March Power and AMP UD pulleys for 10+ yrs with the factory radiator and alternator and I've never had a problem with heating or charging using them. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
384 Posts
I bought the cheapest UDP off ebay for like 65 bucks.
I figured if they were going to cause my car to overheat and not charge I didn't want to spend a ton of money on them so I bought cheap to see if they work
No problems yet :bigthumbsup

LOL as far as headaches go....took me 3 pairs to get them on right though. First time I installed the crank pulley backwards and had to drill it off...spent like 15min installing and 4hrs tryin to get the thing off.
2nd pair I bought I think musta been for a Fox or 99-04 because they were the wrong size.
3rd pair were right size and I knew not to put the pulley on backward! So yeah a headache for sure.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for opinion everyone. I think I'm going to go for them, I live in Oregon which is mostly cooler temps, with 7 miles highway driving to do, so I am not to concerned about overheating. The amperage scares me a little, as eventually I will have a custom Polk MM 6 speaker dual amp set up, but I'll switch to a better alt by then so hopefully no worries there.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
upgrade to a 130a alternator and you'll have no worries
as far as proform,its all chinese made junk,i had a set of their roller rockers nearly destroy my engine,but i dont really see how the pullies could be bad..unless they're square lol

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks for opinion everyone. I think I'm going to go for them, I live in Oregon which is mostly cooler temps, with 7 miles highway driving to do, so I am not to concerned about overheating. The amperage scares me a little, as eventually I will have a custom Polk MM 6 speaker dual amp set up, but I'll switch to a better alt by then so hopefully no worries there.
Like I said I have a 12" Kicker L7 hooked to a ZX750 amp rated at 943 Watts RMS. The amp gauge does go down a bit when I really have it cranked up but it bounces with the beat...looks more like a metronome haha
The only time I had a problem w/ charging was when I daisy chained a friends 12 sub (forget brand) to my sub/amp. Then the amp gauge pretty much bottomed out :heha:
So yeah maybe a more powerful alternator will be smart if you're doing a dual sub.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts