Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Mustang lowered now (Eibach Pro kit) for over a year now. I have often looked at my rear end and noticed that the passenger side sits lower (about 3/4 inch) than the drivers side... I got underneath today and (to my embarrassment) the drivers side spring was indeed on upside down...

So, of course I flip the spring back over but still... no change (though my rear end feels more stable now).....

Question is, I have read online about others with the issue too... Why would one side be higher than the other? I really wish my drivers side rear would sit down like my passenger side rear. As I was just under the car and verified that both springs were properly oriented (tight wind up top on both now) what else could cause this!?!??!

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
do those rear springs have to seat in pockets up against stops like the frt strut springs do in the strut and in the mount? are they turned and seated properly?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do those rear springs have to seat in pockets up against stops like the frt strut springs do in the strut and in the mount? are they turned and seated properly?
I double checked seating and everything is seated correctly... I felt no pockets in the rear... My front is fine... its just the rear that seems to be an issue.

Its baffling because everything I have found online said its normal for the drivers side to be lower... and its the higher side...

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
not sure what to think but i havent tried to lower my car either.

back in the 70`s we used to shim the pass side up just a little to allow for twist and squat when you put the power to it. but they had leaf springs and ladder bars ect.

could you try swapping the springs side to side just to see if its the springs?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have thought about it but I am lacking that kind of energy at the moment... lol...

Im lucky I had the energy to flip the spring back around after noticing it was upside down....

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Are you sure you have the car on a level spot when you measure?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure you have the car on a level spot when you measure?
Yes... its actually doing it level, on the hill I park on and when I turn it around on the hill... its not just where I park it... Does it at work, at home and anywhere I park it regardless... Its ALWAYS lower on the rear passenger side.

Again, the front is fine... It is the oddest thing... and its driving me nuts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Yes... its actually doing it level, on the hill I park on and when I turn it around on the hill... its not just where I park it... Does it at work, at home and anywhere I park it regardless... Its ALWAYS lower on the rear passenger side.

Again, the front is fine... It is the oddest thing... and its driving me nuts
3/4" is a big difference. I'm not familiar with the kit that you used. You should re-read the install to see if they had a right and left maybe, although I don't see how that could be.

Back in the Fox chassis days the engine would be set slightly to the passenger side to compensate for the weight of the driver. I haven't measured where the engine is on my 05 but I assume its set up in a similar fashion.

When you put weight in the driver's seat is the car level then?

Also, be sure to check all four springs for correct seating as well as uninstalled height. The front springs are easy to install improperly. A high spring will make the opposite corner low.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its just that 1 wheel thats off... the front is pretty close (within a 1/16" - 1/8")... just that rear one that is funny...

I even put the spring in, double checked it and then drove weaving side to side for a while... It did feel more stable, but nothing was done to the height...

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Well I'd still check uninstalled spring heights as well as diameter to make sure you don't have a mismatch.

BTW I found an interesting site on late model Mustang suspensions here. It may or may not help you but it does explain the potential issues with lowering springs pretty well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good read on that article. Again, I dont have the energy to rip everything back off but I doubt I have a mis-match. I do remember when I installed them I did look at part numbers on the springs as well as who made them (I got them used but never installed so I did check on install).

I did go out and look again this morning while walking the dog and my fronts are level.

If you look at my fronts both tires in the front are almost tucking into the wells. ---- The back passenger tucks into the rear well but the drivers rear looks like its 1/2-3/4 (closer to 3/4) untucked...

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Remember that when you lower the car the rear moves a bit to one side in relation to the suspension. Discussion on that here.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remember that when you lower the car the rear moves a bit to one side in relation to the suspension. Discussion on that here.
Understood... thats due to the panhard bar and the rear ends line of travel in relation to the suspension. It would actually push the rear towards the drivers side slightly

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for everyones help with this... I actually just drove it to work today and made sure to weave at higher speeds and we have a few speed bumps too coming into the complex...

Once parked it looks like it sits much better now... maybe it just wasnt settled in all the way after flipping it back over yesterday.

Im so glad the car feels more stable now too!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine sits a little uneven also. Ford has published a certain amount is within allowable tolerances from the factory.
I have read about that... At 3/4 of an inch almost that seemed a bit much... its still a bit uneven but its less than 1/4 inch now... Like I said before I think once it settled some more it helped.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I ran into the same problem with my FRPP Handling package. After I put it on I had Ford double check my work and even swap the rear springs side to side and it didnt change anything. They contacted Ford Engineers and they noted as much as half an inch is acceptable difference side to side from the factory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts