Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im putting together a 5.0L with carburator and bought a universal type timing cover from summit. the engine is a 5.0L EFI from a 1988 crown vic i use to own. i used the two piece cam eccentric i bought new. the problem im having is fitting a fuel pump.

i bought a fuel pump for a 1979 mustang 302 not really knowing there is a difference between fuel pumps. it seems like the arm on the fuel pump sits too high and it will only fit in the timing cover if its depressed (like me lol) and sits on the base circle of the eccentric (wont work at all).

i cant figure this out. anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Is the cover you have Summit part number SES-5-60-04-201? If so, it should accept a standard mechanical fuel pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is and let me take a picture of what it looks like with the 1979 fuel pump in it. cause im thinking that fuel pump wont work with it.

here you can see the arm is almost in the middle of where the cam gear would be. with the timing cover attached the fuel pump will barely go on with the arm depressed on the base of the eccentric, then it has no where to go if the eccentric moves.

this one shows that the fuel pump arm actually hits on the top of the timing cover boss. if i put the gasket in there it get even worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Alright. You might get one from a 1985 model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the timing cover or the fuel pump? cause i bought this timing cover because it had the oil dipstick tube in the cover AND the fuel pump boss in it. the timing cover looks to be like every other one ive seen that has a fuel pump boss in it....

anything look wrong here?

Attachments

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with that. And I meant the 1985 fuel pump. Not sure off top of my head if there'd be a difference though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im just lost.... i did look at 1985 fuel pumps and the ones i saw it looked like the arm went way up too but they had an extra fuel line nipple coming off of one port, dont know what thats for.

i also saw that some of the bigger block engines had fuel pump arms that went straighter out instead of up which would be good.

and then lastly i saw some Holley fuel pumps that had short little arms that went down?

im so totally confused and unless someone has done this i dont know what to do :so

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
i just got done putting together a 390 big block and on that motor the fuel pump lever needed to be depressed slightly so that it would ride on the cam eccentric. bolt the timing cover to the motor without the pump, then install the pump so that the lever is slightly depressed to ride on the eccentric. thats the only way i've ever seen it work on a ford v8. btw: i would have recommended a fuel pump for an '83 - '85 stang that had a stock 4-barrel carb, may be better suited to what you're doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with the timing cover attached the fuel pump will barely go on with the arm depressed on the base of the eccentric, then it has no where to go if the eccentric moves.
the picture was just to show where the arm is since you cant take a picture INSIDE the timing cover. i didnt try to install it like that, thats why i explained it as i did above. the only way these two would work together is if it had about a 3/4 inch spacer in between the timing cover and the fuel pump. its that far off

and as far as the fuel pumps went i thought they were all the same for small block fords. thats what i was getting from all the catalogs i have.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you feel you need a little more space at the top, you can always clearance it a little bit.

As far as the arm being depressed by the eccentric, that's normal. It'll move properly with the rotation of the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you feel you need a little more space at the top, you can always clearance it a little bit.

As far as the arm being depressed by the eccentric, that's normal. It'll move properly with the rotation of the engine.
NO NOT NORMAL. this isnt being depressed a little by the eccentric. the fuel pump arm has to be depressed ALL the way to get it up to the mounting holes and thats on the base circle of the eccentric! it will break something if it is bolted up and the engine turns so that the outter part of the eccentric comes around cause theres no room left for the pump arm to move! (more than a little frustrated)

im calling summit, maybe they have some ino that will help

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ahh. I see it now...

Where did you buy the pump? if you can return it for another, that might solve the problem. It wouldn't be the first time re-man parts have been boxed wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
problem solved! :happydance:woohoo

i did end up buying a holly fuel pump for a 85 mustang but it acted the same as the other fuel pump. the two fuel pump arms moved sort of easy and a return spring moved them back but i finally got pissed off enough to really crank on them to see if they moved even more. i had tried this before but not this hard. sure enough they do and you can hear them both suck air now. have i tried fitting them yet? no but im sure if one doesnt work the other will. i can honestly say ive never had to change a mechanical fuel pump in my life before and did not know. thanks for any help :bigthumbsupand i hope this helps someone else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.