Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 Mustang GT: Been having a ground issue and already checked the basics. I jacked up the car and while checking this and that came across a small nest of wires and harnesses located south of the o2 sensor on the drivers side; again undercarriage.
There's a larger circular shaped plug/connector of wires. They appear to run all the way to the back of the car I'm thinking these may are for the lights, fuel pump etc?, and two connectors, similar in size of the one up by the battery grounded to the body. Or if this helps, it's the same type as the connector for the tps but not as wide. Tubular, long, thin, black, with what looks like a small built in ground loop, (see pic.), anyway I found one that dropped down and melted to the exhaust.
So if this is my ground issue or not is one thing but first I need to figure out what it is that melted, where to get a new one, etc....and fix it.
Google is usually the bomb but not much help with this. Hope someone here knows? Thx!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've soldered before but never overhead so i'm having a friend who's been there done that do it for me. Ford wants you to buy the entire loom. The kicker is, they don't make it anymore; discontinued, lol. And to not only pay the $480 they wanted if they did have it, it would take me at least 2 weekends to install it.
Here's the fix that i'm assuming/hoping will work. I'm cutting out the connector and hard wiring. There is a ground loop you can see in the pictures but it appears to go to the top to wires which given the logistics makes sense. We'll see.
Would still like to know what this powers? If it only the break lights, who needs'm? :winks

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Thats the Transmission harness. Powers the Back up lights. And also hase circuits for the Vehicle Speed Sensor, and Neutral Gear Switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the Transmission harness. Powers the Back up lights. And also hase circuits for the Vehicle Speed Sensor, and Neutral Gear Switch.
Built into the connector? Meaning my idea of wiring direct wouldn't work? I've never heard of sensors built into a connector but i'm also trying to stay optimistic soldering will do the trick. lol. Or does the wiring that passes through this connector attribute to what you mentioned but not literally inside the connector? I.E. the connector is like a relay or a fancy means of crimping, no internal electronics? Kinda like the TPS connector? I could cut that connector out and wire direct and am hoping to be able to do the same with the melted connector?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Before you start trying to fix it, id check out some junkyards and try to find a compatible stang. Then just chop out the connector along with some of the harness :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's one near me but the car is on the ground, flat tires etc... and they don't jack cars up for ya. And for some reason it could not rain for 2 weeks straight, go to this place and it's always mud, lol.
I.E. the quickest fix BUT only if it can be done and why this thread is to bypass the connector and simply solder to wires together vs. getting a connector, at a junk yard, then i'd have twice the soldering, lol. Ya know? But again that's only if this connector is nothing more than that, a connector.
Before you start trying to fix it, id check out some junkyards and try to find a compatible stang. Then just chop out the connector along with some of the harness :bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts