Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was messing around under the hood and "unplugged" the sound induction tube on my 2010 GT. I was reading that the tube is plugged with insulation so I wanted to see if I could remove it. The insulation plug is just inside the tube at the firewall. I simply pulled the tube out of the firewall and removed a 1 1/2 plug of foam insulation. Also, there is a small caplike plug on the inside of the car just behind the clutch pedal that needs to be removed. It looks like a small white/gray flat cap. It simply pulls out. The car sounds much louder now and the cabin growl is significantly more pronounced. Nice free sound enhancing mod!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you like the way it sounded? I think it sounds pretty cool and I'm going to leave it that way, at least for now. I want to drive it for a few days to see what my overall impression of it is.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I don't care that much about intake sound, although it's nice with a "Bullitt" CAI. I do have trouble doing my preferred shift-by-ear road work in the coupe, even though the FRPP GTAs are a bit louder than stock.

Can either of you describe the components and function of the "sound induction tube"? I'd like to try something like that from the area of the exhaust outlet at the rear bumper. Other than the plug and the cap, how is the tube different from a plain old vacuum line or such? What kind of material is the tube made of. Is there a "sensor" in the CAI box? Does the tube just end inside the passenger compartment?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sound induction tube is specific to 2010-2011 model Mustang GTs. Ford engineers found that the overal tone of the 2010 Mustang GT was too "quiet". The induction tube is a plastic tube that is connected from the intake ducting to the firewall/cabin of the car. It transfers sound from the engine to the cabin compartment to help increase the perceived engine sound in the cabin. It is simply a hollow plastic ducting type tube. There are no sensors in the tube. It simply functions as a sound resonator. It comes plugged from the factory with a foam stopper. What I described above was the removal of this foam plug to make the ambient sound in the cabin a little bit louder. This sound induction tube was not present on earlier Mustangs.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Thank you, H82BSLO. I guess I'll have to go to a Ford place to see one in action. It appears the difficult part will be determining the exhaust sound pick-up point.

Thanks again,

Frank S

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been having a hell of a time with this induction tube. I have been trying to disconnect it, to not allow any sound in at all. I have a 2010 GT. I get a whoosing, fluttering sound coming into the cabin, and I could swear it comes in from the two center air/cond vents on the dash. When I get into higher speeds, like over 65 mph. I pulled the tube out of the firewall, and put a "plug" plate over the firewall hole. I still kept getting the sounds. Then, I discovered that when I open the hood on my car, there is a cardboard type shield that lines the underhood. when I tap on that piece with my fist, it rattles like crazy. There are some loose wires housed under there, but I don't know what they are for. I thought that might be vibrating and sending the sound into the cabin through the vents. The vents that allow air into the cabin are located right under the hood opening, virtually meets with the opening, when the hood is closed.I stuffed some rubber tubeing under the hood, by these wires, and the sound has died down a little, but not completely gone. Do you know where this tubing could be allowing sound to be entering the cabin, elsewhere in the car? I guess I will have to take the entire tube line out, and block it off some way. It has been driving me crazy, and it sounds very cheap, in such a sturdy, quietier, upgraded car. The normal sound from this tube, it doesn't have that "whoosing", "fluttering" sound, does it? Thanks for your help. TC

·
Registered
921 Posts
Don't remember where i found this picture, but you can clearly see the pipe coming from the air intake towards the cabin.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Don't remember where i found this picture, but you can clearly see the pipe coming from the air intake towards the cabin.
That is a very nice picture, but ... it's not obvious to me which of the various tubes is thhe one in question. I feel like such a dunce when that happens.
:frustrated:

·
Registered
560 Posts
That is a very nice picture, but ... it's not obvious to me which of the various tubes is thhe one in question. I feel like such a dunce when that happens.
:frustrated:

its the tube in the red area

if you look inside on the drivers side underneath the steering wheel on the firewall look on the very top left side you should see a small black tube sticking out feel inside and there is a chunk of foam jammed inside took it out while waiting in the parking lot sounds much better any rpm above 2grand

best mod ive done

Attachments

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
its the tube in the red area

if you look inside on the drivers side underneath the steering wheel on the firewall look on the very top left side you should see a small black tube sticking out feel inside and there is a chunk of foam jammed inside took it out while waiting in the parking lot sounds much better any rpm above 2grand

best mod ive done
Aha! Excellent elucidation. Thank you.

That's a pretty substantial and probably expensive piece of hardware. You have to wonder what kind of discussion went on among the decision-makers who approved that as a stock production item.

"I guess we've got enough real performance now; what do you reckon we can stick on there that will make it more obvious?"

"Well, let's figure out a way to pipe the performance perception into the cabin. Not incidentally, we can make some profit on the system, as well. Let's see: 160,000 units, twenty-seven bucks in parts, bump the base price by fifty bucks ... I think I feel a bonus coming on!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.