Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was messing around under the hood and "unplugged" the sound induction tube on my 2010 GT. I was reading that the tube is plugged with insulation so I wanted to see if I could remove it. The insulation plug is just inside the tube at the firewall. I simply pulled the tube out of the firewall and removed a 1 1/2 plug of foam insulation. Also, there is a small caplike plug on the inside of the car just behind the clutch pedal that needs to be removed. It looks like a small white/gray flat cap. It simply pulls out. The car sounds much louder now and the cabin growl is significantly more pronounced. Nice free sound enhancing mod!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
during normal driving, it doesn't really sound any different. The increased "growl" is only noticeable at higher rpm's under throttle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you like the way it sounded? I think it sounds pretty cool and I'm going to leave it that way, at least for now. I want to drive it for a few days to see what my overall impression of it is.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sound induction tube is specific to 2010-2011 model Mustang GTs. Ford engineers found that the overal tone of the 2010 Mustang GT was too "quiet". The induction tube is a plastic tube that is connected from the intake ducting to the firewall/cabin of the car. It transfers sound from the engine to the cabin compartment to help increase the perceived engine sound in the cabin. It is simply a hollow plastic ducting type tube. There are no sensors in the tube. It simply functions as a sound resonator. It comes plugged from the factory with a foam stopper. What I described above was the removal of this foam plug to make the ambient sound in the cabin a little bit louder. This sound induction tube was not present on earlier Mustangs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.