Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

About a month ago I asked about what tool to use to loosen the striker pin (Nader pin) in the “B” post of my 70 Mach 1. After some searching I found a PZ4 3/8 driver socket from Lowe’s online. I have finally been able to use the tool to do that job and thought I would report back.

When I started to order the tool I noted that a reviewer had mentioned that the tool broke before they could loosen the screw. This caused me to be rather careful about how much torque I applied. I noted the suggestions from a forum reader to use a penetrating oil to soak in as well as heat to help loosen the screw. The first side that I tried came loose with out an extreme amount of torque but the second was quite tight or perhaps just stuck or seized. That side I used heat on and was easily able to loosen the screws. I noticed that the PZ4 driver did not tend to cam out when applying torque so was better than the #3 Phillips driver that I previously tried.

When I was searching for a tool I looked for something larger than the PZ4 but didn’t find anything. If I had my choice I think I would have preferred a larger tool like a PZ5 or PZ6 but didn’t find either of those. In the end I had success so was satisfied and thought I would pass this on.

Art.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
The screws are Phillips 4. I've replaced all mine with stainless, and lots of WD-40 on the threaded plate in the door. PZ4 will work and as you mentioned, but I doubt a bigger size would fit.

The nature of the posidrive system is to prevent camming out. They are cut like hollow ground flat blade screwdrivers to prevent caming. I have a set of those for working on carburetors, made in USA by Grace. They work excellent even with their soft wood handles. I don't have to use vertical force on a screw at all. They grab the screw at the bottom of the slot, not at the top like a typical tapered driver.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts