Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first of all, i'd like to introduce myself, this is my first and most important forum post/question. I own a 2001 v6 mustang and I recently dropped $350 on a bama tuner and CAI..unfortunately my car ended up in the shop 2 weeks later from a faulty cold air intake that was leaking, and a bama tuner that consistently stalled my car and finally let it over rev and the belt came off..very close to ruining my entire engine.

Anyways, I ended up returning both parts and now i'm back to stock. And sadly along with that, my friends 2012 hyundai elentra can beat me in a streetlight race. So I am at a crossroad..Should I buy legitimate upgrades for my v6 mustang (costing alot of money for like 10-15 hp >_>) and penny it out..or should I wait a year until I can legally take a loan/buy a GT. Input on this would be fantastic!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Centrix,
Your profile says Ohio... so I bet you get your share of snow. If you want more go, wait and get a GT, but it won't be very drivable once the snow arrives. You'll need a winter daily driver.

I opted to buy a V6 so I didn't have to purchase 2 cars. I bought an extra set of stock wheels and got snows mounted on them. I've driven it thru the last 2 winters here in Southern CT... 2010-2011 was a doozy.

Just a thought .....:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I guess thats true, I just don't know if there are any legitimate upgrades that wont just give me 10 hp for $500..something worth the money. Winters are not that bad for the v6, but I know people who manage the winter in a GT..thanks for the input though!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Somebody posted a saying here that rings true : There's no replacement for Displacement ( engine size ). Another old hot rodder's adage : If More Is Better, Then Too Much Is Just Enough.

I've considered the stuff out there for thr 4.0 I have ...short of major, major stuff like forced induction, at the end of the day it's still never going to be a V8. I toyed with my first car back in 1975-1977 trying to hop up a 250 small block Ford Six on a very limited budget...didn't result in any noticeable difference.

You have the right to follow your own choices... for me, I'm just going to drive it year-round as she is. I pay about $4.25/gallon here for 87 octane...the higher octanes are even more expensive.
I'd rather enjoy driving it every day than be mad about getting ripped for higher octanes needed from upgrades.

Follow your heart. Good Luck .....:)

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
taking into account everything you said in your first post. save and buy a GT. It'll be respectably quick right out of the box and it responds much better to simple boltons

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
1) what kind of car do you want if you were to save up?

2) modding a v6 mustang is like modding anything else you put $ in and you get results.

3) pfft tell that replacement for displacement story to the nissan gt-r guys :p [no don't think we are anywhere close to the nissan gt-r guys]

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Well first of all, i'd like to introduce myself, this is my first and most important forum post/question. I own a 2001 v6 mustang and I recently dropped $350 on a bama tuner and CAI..unfortunately my car ended up in the shop 2 weeks later from a faulty cold air intake that was leaking, and a bama tuner that consistently stalled my car and finally let it over rev and the belt came off..very close to ruining my entire engine.

Anyways, I ended up returning both parts and now i'm back to stock. And sadly along with that, my friends 2012 hyundai elentra can beat me in a streetlight race. So I am at a crossroad..Should I buy legitimate upgrades for my v6 mustang (costing alot of money for like 10-15 hp >_>) and penny it out..or should I wait a year until I can legally take a loan/buy a GT. Input on this would be fantastic!
2) modding a v6 mustang is like modding anything else you put $ in and you get results.
Centrix,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your CAI and Tune. This sounds like a odd problem that we could have definitely fixed for you. However I completely understand your reason for returning the set up. If you do choose to mod your six again, definitely shoot me a PM and I'll make sure you're taken care of!

Obviously the V8 is a better platform. You have more cubic inches to work with, a more stylish exterior and interior and it reacts to modification better. I drive my full bolt on 04 Mach1 daily/year round, even in the snow! If you're looking to make your way into the 11 or 12's in the quarter mile then some sort of Forced induction for your six or a V8 may be for you :).

I hope this helps! Remember this is just my opinion. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off ESG-642T, I would personally love to own a GT mustang and that is really my only upgrade I would chose when it comes to replacing cars..AMDanBailer, Thanks for all the help! I will definitely PM you sometime, if I choose to upgrade my v6 I would really like to buy parts that really effect the speed and are not killing the car (like the tuner trying to run the parts at levels they shouldn't)..haha.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
2V gt = meh

If your going to upgrade (get into car payments, etc) find a 4v 98 cobra, mach 1, or save up for a 2011.

I could have bought an 03 cobra - I enjoy driving my turbo 6 , it gets 25-29mpg on the highway and its fun to drive no payments and I've spent less on it than you would think.

google mustangmike find his build h/c/i daily driver with nitrous and he makes 2011 GT's look bad :p

R

·
0 Posts
2V gt = meh

If your going to upgrade (get into car payments, etc) find a 4v 98 cobra, mach 1, or save up for a 2011.

I could have bought an 03 cobra - I enjoy driving my turbo 6 , it gets 25-29mpg on the highway and its fun to drive no payments and I've spent less on it than you would think.

google mustangmike find his build h/c/i daily driver with nitrous and he makes 2011 GT's look bad :p
The 2 valve isn't too bad. They're so CHEAP to buy and parts are sooooo cheap. I'd love to have a 2 valve.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You'd have a heavier car with a GT. But it'd be a little light in the rear and might be impractical for winter driving.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
The 2 valve isn't too bad. They're so CHEAP to buy and parts are sooooo cheap. I'd love to have a 2 valve.
No parts are cheap for the fox 5L
2v parts still aren't that cheap , look at a decent set of 2v heads :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very confused as to what a 2 valve is, still getting into basic modding and complete engine details..hahaha.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
The 2v are pretty comparable to pushrod 5.0 for both price and potential. The 2V TFS heads are quite pricey. You can get fresh reman'd and CNC ported stock heads for about the same price as aftermarket 5.0 heads. Heads, exhaust, induction, blowers, all are comparable to 5.0. Cams is the main one that is costs way more. Yeah on average other parts do cost little more, and used parts are not abundant like foxes, but the 2v stuff is way cheaper and more plentiful than 3v or 4v. The foxes do seem to make a little more power for similar mods though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts