Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my rotor is literally being scraped off but i replaced the rotors and pads last fall. I took everything apart to see what was wrong and saw that a piston on my caliper is broken and dont know how it happened. Anyways my question is, how much of a difference would a front brake system from an 03/04 cobra be compared to the v6's? Just trying to see if it's worth the swap before buying any parts. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
the 99+ braking system is pretty good. Much better than the 94-98 thats for sure. The twin piston calipers do make a difference. I hear that cobra braking system is a great upgrade for you.
I plan on upgrading mine to twin piston calipers soon

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Honestly the 99 calipers do not work as good as the 94-98. There is less total piston clamping area in the small 2 piston compared to the 1 large previous piston. Ford needed to change the oem pads to compensate. But they do look cool and are lighter so I'm using them on my fox.

Yes the Cobra setup works better but it's complete overkill for a bolt on V6. If you do fronts only, you're gonna throw off the balance of your system and increase nose dive.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At shine1
Wow I thought u already had an upgraded brake system for that monster!? So what is like trying to stop her at the track?

At metalman
I also like the look as well and because i already have the 8.8 rear with the 11.65" brakes installed i thought i'd complete the look but only if its a noticeable difference. So i'm going to see if i could find a set at a reasonable price.

Any ideas where to start looking? I'm going to try the place in georgia first, but all suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
At shine1
Wow I thought u already had an upgraded brake system for that monster!? So what is like trying to stop her at the track?
Its not bad at all. The hardest part is keeping the car from pushing thru the light. She just wants to run so bad LOL

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
You can get remans pretty cheap from rockauto.... even including the core price they are cheap. Check ebay, mustang forum classifieds, or car-part.com. They used to sell calipers and rotors new for $450. Not sure if they have the same package anymore.

Looks like the Bullitt calipers and brackets and pads are still avail new from FRPP for $269 new.
http://www.buyfordracing.com/products/1994-%2d-2004-SPECIAL-EDITION-BULLITT-MUSTANG-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPERS.html

There is some slight differences between 94-04 Cobra fronts. IIRC the caliper brackets were the same, but the later years had pistons 2mm bigger or so.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, but it looks like my friend is upgrading his brake system on his 04 cobra to begin the mods for the KB he's getting in about a year. Hopefully he does the upgrade soon so I could get the brakes off him, if not I'll have to take your sites metalman! Thanks!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I ended up swapping the v6 front brake system to the 03/04 cobra's and wow what a difference. The ride feels so much smoother after the swap. I'm guessing the broken caliper was stuck slightly clamping on the rotor. The brakes have the bite i imagined theyd have and the 13" rotor fills that large wheel gap on my chrome 17" FR500 very nicely! Very nice upgrade in both performance and looks!! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts