Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found myself recently in ownership of a 2005 Mustang GT. Obviously I want to mod / upgrade this thing. Just wondering if I am going down the correct path. It immediately needs a new throw out bearing, so at that same time, replacing the clutch and possibly the flywheel (lightweight???) I am wondering if I should replace it with the stock clutch or a stage 1. For power, as much as I want to go SC. I am thinking it's best for me and my budget for now to just do a CAI and full exhaust. This car is not going to be my daily driver so won't have to worry about the rpm's with the lightweight flywheel (unless I get talked out of it here). Please let me know your thoughts / opinions. Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
I am not sure about the lightweight flywheel; that kinda seems like a thing for a super high reving, low torque small displacement engine, but I don't know???

Supercharging is the best way to get big gains for moderate bucks; if you think you might do that someday, then save your money for that . . . and check out Department of Boost web site for some handy practical information on that.

If you think you might supercharge in the future, get a clutch that will handle that torque -- I think 500 foot-pounds or maybe a little more should be enough. Be aware that higher torque capability usually means heavier springs and heavier clutch pedal effort so don't go too far with it. I don't know about makes and models but someone else will probably chime in with that.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
For the clutch maybe look at Centerfocre’s Dual Friction. It won’t wear you out and it’ll hold some power.
I probably wouldn’t mess with a new fly wheel. As for other mods, are you wanting to be “fast” or just loud? I don’t think you’d be able to outrun anyone that you previously couldn’t with the full exhaust and cai. Best case scenario it’ll be thousandths of a second faster. If more sound it’s what you’re after I’d just replace the mufflers, or I guess axle-backs is what they’re called now. No performance gain there really but it’ll sound faster.
It takes quite an increase in power to be noticeably faster. Bolt-ons aren’t going to get you any closer to hanging with the new 400+ horsepower crowd really. Maybe maybe at the drag strip with a high rev launch, sticky tires, and suspension that’s setup for drag racing. But not so much in a street type setting. It looks like the ‘05 GT’s run mid 13 to high 14 second 1/4 miles. To put that into perspective here’s a 2012 Maxima that ran a 13.9. That’s sort of your “competition” these days. If didn’t have the money to gain another 100 horse power or so (blower) I’d probably just leave it well enough alone but that’s just me. I say that because with the cold air intake and full exhaust the end result will pretty much be the same but you’ll be a little lighter in the wallet.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I found myself recently in ownership of a 2005 Mustang GT. Obviously I want to mod / upgrade this thing. Just wondering if I am going down the correct path. It immediately needs a new throw out bearing, so at that same time, replacing the clutch and possibly the flywheel (lightweight???) I am wondering if I should replace it with the stock clutch or a stage 1. For power, as much as I want to go SC. I am thinking it's best for me and my budget for now to just do a CAI and full exhaust. This car is not going to be my daily driver so won't have to worry about the rpm's with the lightweight flywheel (unless I get talked out of it here). Please let me know your thoughts / opinions. Thank you in advance.
Your car is 15 years old so it'll almost inevitably have one or two minor faults plus parts that are wearing out, so I suggest you replace them with upgraded parts where possible. That particularly applies to the clutch, drivetrain, brakes, steering, and suspension.
As far as performance upgrades go, it depends on whether you want to compete with newer 450+hp muscle cars or whether you merely want to make the car more fun to drive than stock without going overboard. I chose the latter route and here's my mod list:

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Your car is 15 years old so it'll almost inevitably have one or two minor faults plus parts that are wearing out, so I suggest you replace them with upgraded parts where possible. That particularly applies to the clutch, drivetrain, brakes, steering, and suspension.
As far as performance upgrades go, it depends on whether you want to compete with newer 450+hp muscle cars or whether you merely want to make the car more fun to drive than stock without going overboard. I chose the latter route and here's my mod list:

12.50 good time sir.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
That was with a 1/4 tank of gas plus the front passenger seat/rear seat/spare tire/trunk contents (~110lb) removed. My best time in full street trim and a 2/3 tank of gas was 12.68.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the clutch maybe look at Centerfocre’s Dual Friction. It won’t wear you out and it’ll hold some power.
I probably wouldn’t mess with a new fly wheel. As for other mods, are you wanting to be “fast” or just loud? I don’t think you’d be able to outrun anyone that you previously couldn’t with the full exhaust and cai. Best case scenario it’ll be thousandths of a second faster. If more sound it’s what you’re after I’d just replace the mufflers, or I guess axle-backs is what they’re called now. No performance gain there really but it’ll sound faster.
It takes quite an increase in power to be noticeably faster. Bolt-ons aren’t going to get you any closer to hanging with the new 400+ horsepower crowd really. Maybe maybe at the drag strip with a high rev launch, sticky tires, and suspension that’s setup for drag racing. But not so much in a street type setting. It looks like the ‘05 GT’s run mid 13 to high 14 second 1/4 miles. To put that into perspective here’s a 2012 Maxima that ran a 13.9. That’s sort of your “competition” these days. If didn’t have the money to gain another 100 horse power or so (blower) I’d probably just leave it well enough alone but that’s just me. I say that because with the cold air intake and full exhaust the end result will pretty much be the same but you’ll be a little lighter in the wallet.

Thank you for your input! I don't see myself doing track days or anything of that nature. Just looking for something that performs a little better than stock and sounds nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Your parts list seems ideal for what I am looking for. I know I won't be able to compete with the 450+, just want something fun to dink around in. Did you do all of the work yourself? I am debating doing the clutch, but I don't have access to a lift nor a tranny jack.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I don't have access to a lift either so I only did some of the more simple mods myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts