Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you want to make your stock Mustang a little special for like $1000 what would you do to increase HP?

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

An SCT tuning device and a custom Dyno Tune.

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
If you want to make your stock Mustang a little special for like $1000 what would you do to increase HP?
For $1k I’d probably look at cams. Exhaust stuff will eat the $1k pretty quick and it’ll just be louder and not really much if any faster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For $1k I’d probably look at cams. Exhaust stuff will eat the $1k pretty quick and it’ll just be louder and not really much if any faster.
Will the throttle body, injectors and intake manifold support new cams?

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Will the throttle body, injectors and intake manifold support new cams?
Throttle body yes. Intake manifolds are generally matched to what rpm the engine “makes power.” The cams too. So if you want to/need to rev high (6k+ rpm) you’d want a manifold and cams that will “match” that operating range. That being said the I don’t think the stock heads will be making any power past 6k. So if you’re sticking with the stock manifold use cams that work well with it.
Most people make around 300 horse at the wheels with these with cams and “bolt-on” mods. I’d be a willing to bet that the cams make up the bulk of it. If your at the 300 wheel horse range you’ll probably need larger injectors. A “tune” as well.
It’s a little tough to name a part or parts for $1k that’ll make a significant difference really. I mean cat-back exhausts are $500-600 or so and they add zilch. An X pipe- maybe $300 and maybe 5-10 horsepower.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
Cams don’t sound like a good choice for $1k and stop type of thing. Especially since you’ll need a tune anyway.

Maybe stuff that cash into your “Mustang Mod Fund” (and add to it for more choices).

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Cams don’t sound like a good choice for $1k and stop type of thing. Especially since you’ll need a tune anyway.

Maybe stuff that cash into your “Mustang Mod Fund” (and add to it for more choices).
There’s really not many options available for this model. One aftermarket head choice, maybe one or two manifold options (maybe none). I think cams is the “big ticket item” for this crowd. That or $3k-$4k blowers. Everything else is long-tubes and CAI’s.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
There’s really not many options available for this model. One aftermarket head choice, maybe one or two manifold options (maybe none). I think cams is the “big ticket item” for this crowd. That or $3k-$4k blowers. Everything else is long-tubes and CAI’s.
Yeah, I know … I think the smart move is to keep saving up…

Reactions: 90lxwhite

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Thanks all. Need to find someone close to Columbus Ohio for mods.
These numbers might be inflated some.
How’s the suspension? Good, bad, ugly? If it’s old and tired you could do some damage in the suspension dept for $1k. Well, it’d give you a good start any way. You could install shocks/struts yourself but other items will prob need a shop.

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Changing the differential gear ratio in the rear end would make a big difference in acceleration.
No way Tony. Don’t sell him that dream. Gears will have him spending $700-$800 (parts and labor) to go from a 14.87 1/4 mile to a 14.83. That’s not that big of a difference.
I made those numbers up but it’ll be in the ballpark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No way Tony. Don’t sell him that dream. Gears will have him spending $700-$800 (parts and labor) to go from a 14.87 1/4 mile to a 14.83. That’s not that big of a difference.
I made those numbers up but it’ll be in the ballpark.
I agree with you on the 1/4 mile time since torque will drop off and it generally takes about 100 horsepower to gain a second on the quarter time. It will make the most difference in acceleration at lower speeds. Here's a good video on the topic,
. I have 3.89's in my '69 mustang on a stock 351W and it's a lot of fun around town.

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
I agree with you on the 1/4 mile time since torque will drop off and it generally takes about 100 horsepower to gain a second on the quarter time. It will make the most difference in acceleration at lower speeds. Here's a good video on the topic,
. I have 3.89's in my '69 mustang on a stock 351W and it's a lot of fun around town.
I went from 2.73’s to 3.73’s and now I have 3.31’s. There’s not much that I miss about the 3.73’s. If he’s not going to install them himself the bang for buck just isn’t there. It’ll eat a pretty big chunk out of his $1k. Especially if he gets new bearings and such.
Does anyone want to buy an 8.8” 3.73 ring & pinion? They probably have about 5k miles on em.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts