Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next few weeks I'm looking at replacing my lower ball joints, does anybody make lower control arms that are a step up from stock without requiring anytype of conversion?
Basically, I figure, If I have to tear most of the front end apart, I might as well do the whole lca so I've got all new bushings etc, but I cant afford doing the kmember kit too. All I've been able to find so far is stockers, and arms requiring a kit.
(Basically, I'm upgrading the car as I do the little repairs. I have a final goal in mind, but this is one of those "baby steps")

Ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
i would just go with stock replacement's........you should be fine............they sell a better tie rod end, but they are very expensive..........mostly for scca racing........


hotwheels of insanemustangs.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
BadlandsGhost said:
In the next few weeks I'm looking at replacing my lower ball joints, does anybody make lower control arms that are a step up from stock without requiring anytype of conversion?
Basically, I figure, If I have to tear most of the front end apart, I might as well do the whole lca so I've got all new bushings etc, but I cant afford doing the kmember kit too. All I've been able to find so far is stockers, and arms requiring a kit.
(Basically, I'm upgrading the car as I do the little repairs. I have a final goal in mind, but this is one of those "baby steps")

Ideas?
I bought the FMS M3075A Lower A Arms, its a killer deal for what you get! The only downside is they have been on National Backorder for a while now, so it took some searching to find a set!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,809 Posts
I'd just replace the ball joint and be done with it. Save the upgrade LCA for the tubular k member swap and coil over conversion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
If you do just change the Ball Joint, you may consider buying the oversize ones or tack welding them to the A Arm as the Service Manual recommends changing the entire Arm instead of just the Ball Joint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shakerhood said:
If you do just change the Ball Joint, you may consider buying the oversize ones or tack welding them to the A Arm as the Service Manual recommends changing the entire Arm instead of just the Ball Joint.
This touches on the main reason I was considering replacing the whole assembly. I dont have a welder/exp, and I'm kinda hesitant about installing that crucial a part myself. Not to mention that going with a whole assembly would also have all new bushings. I guess I'm making up for lack of training/experience with money, but I always try to err on the side of cautiion anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,809 Posts
These ball joints are press in, why would you need to weld them? They are not going anywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
GhostDog 5.0 said:
These ball joints are press in, why would you need to weld them? They are not going anywhere.
I know they are press ins! The hole gets enlarged from pressing out the old one, that is why it is recommended to install oversize Balljoints OR a tack weld on a regular replacement. Best bang for the buck is the FMS A Arms as you get upgraded Ball Joints, plus new Bushings!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top