Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: Hey, I'd like info on whether or not anyone has had bad results using octane boost in their mustang. I was using Outlaw octane boost and it fried a brand new set of platinum plugs. I sent all of the info and receipts to sopus/pennzoil and they act like they've never heard of this problem. There was obvious redish/pink residue on the plugs even.
Also, I'd like opinions on what are some performance upgrades that would benifit my car and how much of an improvement I can get from her (since she is a V6). I had a 65 stang and this newer stuff is an all new playing field for me. I'll take any feedback I can get. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
98Sallie said:
:rolleyes: Hey, I'd like info on whether or not anyone has had bad results using octane boost in their mustang. I was using Outlaw octane boost and it fried a brand new set of platinum plugs. I sent all of the info and receipts to sopus/pennzoil and they act like they've never heard of this problem. There was obvious redish/pink residue on the plugs even.
Also, I'd like opinions on what are some performance upgrades that would benifit my car and how much of an improvement I can get from her (since she is a V6). I had a 65 stang and this newer stuff is an all new playing field for me. I'll take any feedback I can get. Thanks!
As long as you add it to a full tank, it shouldn't do anything. How many miles are on your car?

Your heat range may be off, what mods have you done?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Yea, why do you need the boost?

A redddish residue is normal with some gas additives. :eyepoppin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always added the boost to a full tank (when I filled up), I really haven't done any mods yet. I've mostly been researching the varying opinions on whether or not it is really worth it and, how much benefit I can get from them since, it's a V6. I've got a K & N air filter. I tried the octane boost. I've priced a chip etc... but, I'd just like some opinions from people that actually drive stangs versus, some salesguy or joe blow that may not know anything. Oh, she's only got around 98,000 miles on her. (not to shabby, I think):)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured the residue wasn't the biggest deal. But, when the car started misfiring and then the engine light came on....well, I figured that wasn't the greatest. Also, every other month I used a cleaner.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Unless you advance the timing there is no need EVER to use a fuel additive. They are a waste of money. :handball:

Octane is to reduce pinging, nothing more. By itself it CANNOT add any performane to a motor and in fact may be detrimental.

:eyebulge:

I'd also only use the stock plugs. If platinum is not called for.....

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You dont need those platinum plugs either, your just paying more money without the benefits.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
98Sallie said:
I always added the boost to a full tank (when I filled up), I really haven't done any mods yet. I've mostly been researching the varying opinions on whether or not it is really worth it and, how much benefit I can get from them since, it's a V6. I've got a K & N air filter. I tried the octane boost. I've priced a chip etc... but, I'd just like some opinions from people that actually drive stangs versus, some salesguy or joe blow that may not know anything. Oh, she's only got around 98,000 miles on her. (not to shabby, I think):)
It's more likely you've got the wrong plugs.

You might try shooting your MAF with computer contact cleaner . ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've changed the plugs and it seems like alls well there. What do you guys think would be the best, first course of action on the mods? Increasing the air intake etc....or something else??? And, what's your opinions on each of the different mods? Like, what will add to the quickness, responsiveness versus the speed/horsepower? Also, I've been using some daytona tires which are great for wear but, they're pretty hard and the cornering isn't the greatest. What would be a happy medium as far as pretty good cornering but, something that I won't wear out in 6 months?

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
98Sallie said:
I've changed the plugs and it seems like alls well there. What do you guys think would be the best, first course of action on the mods? Increasing the air intake etc....or something else??? And, what's your opinions on each of the different mods? Like, what will add to the quickness, responsiveness versus the speed/horsepower? Also, I've been using some daytona tires which are great for wear but, they're pretty hard and the cornering isn't the greatest. What would be a happy medium as far as pretty good cornering but, something that I won't wear out in 6 months?
I've liked the Dunlop SP series.

I always go for increasing hp efficiency 1st, while working on a foundation for power.

What year is your car, and what have you done to it so far?

If you put it on your signature line, it makes it easier for all of us.

·
Registered
174 Posts
STONECOLD said:
You dont need those platinum plugs either, your just paying more money without the benefits.
I strongly disagree.
I put platinum plugs in my 03 V6 and I got a HUGE increase in performance with no additives.

But also, I think that ALWAYS adding octane boost to every full tank... that seems a bit like overkill... Perhaps once in a while, when you knew you were going to need a bit of a boost... like the day before you hit the track or something, but if you're not planning on racing, I don't think you'd really need it.
And, I'm pretty happy with my Goodyear Eagles. They're not expensive, I'm getting good wear, and I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything performance wise either.
:laughlitt

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
mac_mogul said:
I strongly disagree.
I put platinum plugs in my 03 V6 and I got a HUGE increase in performance with no additives.

But also, I think that ALWAYS adding octane boost to every full tank... that seems a bit like overkill... Perhaps once in a while, when you knew you were going to need a bit of a boost... like the day before you hit the track or something, but if you're not planning on racing, I don't think you'd really need it.
And, I'm pretty happy with my Goodyear Eagles. They're not expensive, I'm getting good wear, and I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything performance wise either.
:laughlitt
actually, as long as you have stock timing, it makes no difference. The computer runs based on 87 octane fuel. THe only way you'll pick up any performance is if your gas station is ripping you off by running Colorado 86 octane fuel, or worse.

If your spark plugs have a lot of deposits from bad gas (and there are a LOT of stations selling bad gas), you'll see a noticeable pick-up. If you run QT or Shell fuel, or some other petroleum engineer certified fuel, you won't notice much of a difference from a plug swap.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I always use Shell V-Power 91 Octane fuel. Unless a shell is not available, but even then I always use premium.

But after I installed my plugs, I noticed a major pick-up in acceleration and fuel efficiency. I don't know if this is typical or not, but those are the results that I got from installing platinum plugs. :D
So personally, I don't feel like they are a waste of money. :)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
mac_mogul said:
I always use Shell V-Power 91 Octane fuel. Unless a shell is not available, but even then I always use premium.

But after I installed my plugs, I noticed a major pick-up in acceleration and fuel efficiency. I don't know if this is typical or not, but those are the results that I got from installing platinum plugs. :D
So personally, I don't feel like they are a waste of money. :)
No offense meant but are you sure that what your feeling isnt just in your head? You really have nothing on your car that would even midly give you the kind of acceleration boost your describing by just adding plugs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I promise its for real! :sterb:
The day I bought my car at 17k miles, I couldn't even squeak the tires from a stop (not powerbraking) but after I installed an air filter and the plugs, I can spin the tires no problem now. (not powerbraking)

Also, with a stopwatch, I can average a 7-ish second 0-60 time (powerbraking) whereas the stock numbers for the Auto V6 is around 8 seconds (if i'm not mistaken)

Also, depending on the road surface, after I installed my upgrades, sometimes I can manage to squeak the drive tire on the 1-2 shift.

I don't know, lol... there could be a chance that a previoius owner did something to it that I don't know about... but the history report said that she was used as a company car in Los Angeles so I doubt it... I'll see if I can get a video of my speedo posted...idk what else I could do to prove it... :sosad:

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
mac_mogul said:
I promise its for real! :sterb:
The day I bought my car at 17k miles, I couldn't even squeak the tires from a stop (not powerbraking) but after I installed an air filter and the plugs, I can spin the tires no problem now. (not powerbraking)

Also, with a stopwatch, I can average a 7-ish second 0-60 time (powerbraking) whereas the stock numbers for the Auto V6 is around 8 seconds (if i'm not mistaken)

Also, depending on the road surface, after I installed my upgrades, sometimes I can manage to squeak the drive tire on the 1-2 shift.

I don't know, lol... there could be a chance that a previoius owner did something to it that I don't know about... but the history report said that she was used as a company car in Los Angeles so I doubt it... I'll see if I can get a video of my speedo posted...idk what else I could do to prove it... :sosad:
Did you disconnect the computer when you changed the plugs?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nope. One weekend on my way home I stopped at AutoZone, bought a K&N Air Filter, and Six plugs... The next day when my engine was cold, I installed the AirFilter, cursed up a storm installing the darned plugs, and changed my oil. When I drove out to make sure everything worked alright, I was surprised at the performance gain I got. But thats all I did. And that was about 7 months and 8k miles ago... I changed my oil, cleaned my air filter, and checked my plugs about two months ago, and everything is running fine, if not better. So I don't know if its just a fluke occurance, or what...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys are fun. My Sallie is a 98. I haven't noticed a great deal of change with the platinum plugs but, my buddy recommended that I give 'em a try. However, I've noticed a tremendous difference in different gas stations. I always only put the highest octane fuel (unless it's a monetary emergency) no matter which one I go to. But, I've found two stations in particular in my area that my car really seems to like. And, I have also noticed a difference between the same name gas stations like Exxon/Mobile, there is one Mobile were I gas up and I never have any problems with my car hesitating or anything but, there's another one I stopped at in a pinch and it was horrible. She hated it, it was like it was either watered down or had a lot of trash or something in it. I won't go there again. I've mostly just done little things to my car. The girl that had her before me really didn't take the greatest care of her. So, I've mainly focused on fixing odd and end stuff that she mucked up. (She had no concept of distance what so ever.) The bumpers and runningboards all have scratches and crap. I've also been replacing a few things on the interior that were bugging me because they were beat-up etc...I retinted the windows back to limo tint (which is illegal here in CA). But, I have to say, I think it looks pretty smashing!

I wasn't sure what had been done as far as upkeep on her so, I've been making sure that everything is taken care of. I've replaced the plugs, wires, air filter (w/ a k & n), oil change, battery change (the other one had a defect), new belts, got the air conditioning fixed, done massive cleaning to the carpets and the seats. Etc...Etc...Etc... I basically just tried to start at ground zero to make sure what kind of condition she was in before I go investing the dinero of souping her up. Now, I'm really ready for more :eyepoppin I'll try and get some pictures to post soon. Anywho, I really appreciate the feed back guys. Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
98Sallie said:
You guys are fun. My Sallie is a 98. I haven't noticed a great deal of change with the platinum plugs but, my buddy recommended that I give 'em a try. However, I've noticed a tremendous difference in different gas stations. I always only put the highest octane fuel (unless it's a monetary emergency) no matter which one I go to. But, I've found two stations in particular in my area that my car really seems to like. And, I have also noticed a difference between the same name gas stations like Exxon/Mobile, there is one Mobile were I gas up and I never have any problems with my car hesitating or anything but, there's another one I stopped at in a pinch and it was horrible. She hated it, it was like it was either watered down or had a lot of trash or something in it. I won't go there again. I've mostly just done little things to my car. The girl that had her before me really didn't take the greatest care of her. So, I've mainly focused on fixing odd and end stuff that she mucked up. (She had no concept of distance what so ever.) The bumpers and runningboards all have scratches and crap. I've also been replacing a few things on the interior that were bugging me because they were beat-up etc...I retinted the windows back to limo tint (which is illegal here in CA). But, I have to say, I think it looks pretty smashing!

I wasn't sure what had been done as far as upkeep on her so, I've been making sure that everything is taken care of. I've replaced the plugs, wires, air filter (w/ a k & n), oil change, battery change (the other one had a defect), new belts, got the air conditioning fixed, done massive cleaning to the carpets and the seats. Etc...Etc...Etc... I basically just tried to start at ground zero to make sure what kind of condition she was in before I go investing the dinero of souping her up. Now, I'm really ready for more :eyepoppin I'll try and get some pictures to post soon. Anywho, I really appreciate the feed back guys. Talk to you soon.

Where are you from?

I think your best bet is to take it to a dealer and get it inspected. Once you have the list (and they may have a maintenance record on the car, if the previous owner took the car to any Ford Dealership -it's all centralized in a database), you can work on what it's going to take to keep it shipshape.

You can also find out if all the recall work's been done . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm in Ventura County, California. The chick who had the car used the same meck-a-neck that I use. She didn't really keep up with much. I think her boyfriend was pretty good about the oil and the tires but, that was about it. I know that she only had the car about 2 years and it had sat parked for at least a couple of months before I bought her. I've been to see the guys at ford to order parts and ask questions. (Neither one of the cigarette lighters work:sadcry: It's a real pain in the *** when I need to charge my phone (ha ha). )

I come from a family of racers so, I have the distinct need for better performance:evillol: What can I say, I can't help it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.