Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this summer ill have a good amount of money for upgrades and what i have right now is listed below on my signature. i have a short throw and 78mm throttle body ready to go on when i get time but i want alot more out of my car with reliability. i was thinking about stage 2 cams possibly but what else needs to be done to support cams?....i was thinking of performance intake but i want an aluminum one for a 97 GT and cant find anything good and what else needs to be done with the intake?.....any ideas guys?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on guys anything??.....im really looking to make the right moves here

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
with stage 2's i believe you will also need a new set of valve springs. i would look into some custom ground cams or supercharger specific cams though. sometimes cams can hurt the performance of a supercharged engine.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
if i were you i would use the money for some forged pistons and rods and from there if you want more power you can just safely up the boost.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point i didnt even think of that....what kind of prices am i looking at for forged pistons and rods? Also are those the only things i need to strengthen?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
you could go with a forged crank too but it isnt necessary unless you are looking at well over 500 rwhp. if you have the extra money i would say go for it. that way you wont have to rip apart your engine again. as for prices i'm not 100% sure. i would guess at most a couple grand for the whole rotating assembly (rods, pistons, crank) plus install. if you really want to do everything right you could just get a new shortblock with a forged rotating assembly built in there. then your hp limits are almost endless.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shortblock? i dont know what that means haha, im sorry but im not totally knowledgable on engine upgrades

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
like the block itself with a full rotating assembly (pistons, rods, crank). here are a couple of reputable companies that sell the full kits.
Shortblocks

http://www.dssracing.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

like i said before, with those your hp/tq limits will be probably a lot higher than what you need. from then on you would probably look into beefing up your suspension and drivetrain.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
but then again dont forget you would be more than safe for upping your boost if you went with just forged pistons and rods.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
If you don't want to up the compression ratio by doing the PI headswap, you're going to be very limited on cams with the NPI heads on the '97.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
i wouldnt recommend uping the compression with forced induction. just up your boost and make sure you have plenty of fuel.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i am just saying, with what you got,not running any more boost or anything you can make your car faster just by adding more flow to the engine,ported pi heads and cams.check the combustion chamber capacity,dont want to raise the compression ratio,or higher octane fuel ought to be a must.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys for all the input, and those links were awesome:hihi:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.