Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to supercharge my mustang but just dont have the money right now. I want to get the vortech kit, where they program your chip for you, but probably wont be able to get it until next year. However, I want to make some mods now to increase HP but dont want to get/do anything that will have to be taken off when the supercharger is installed or that will conflict with the supercharger system.
I would like some cold air but am not sure if it can stay when the supercharger is installed and also am not familiar with how they work as far as the OEM filter and if that filter and box are not used with the cold air system, do you remove them or do they just sit under the hood, not being used?
The other thing I was looking at was underdrive pulleys. They seem like a good deal (better gas milage, more HP), unless there is something Im missing.
I dont know what else I could/should get or in what order (for example, if you get this, then you should also get this...)
I didnt really know if this was a repost, I did some searching but didnt find alot and wasnt sure what key words to put in the search.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
a cold air intake will be useless to you once you add the supercharger.you may want to add gears and some suspension work to get ready for the extra power. also buy a hand held tuner.

·
Registered
256 Posts
forget the cai, and messing with the intake airbox. they'll remove it when the sc is installed.

first, you need to upgrade your fuel system. several ways to do it. from replacing the stock pump, to replacing the whole fuel assembly, to dropping in the cobra tank/pump setup. i just switched my stock pump with an aviator pump. not the preferred way, but works fine for my application. need a solid pump to maintain fuel press while under boost. otherwise it won't be consistent and may go lean(lean=bad).

then i would suggest a tb/plenum upgrade, lower control arms, gears, catback exhaust and/or offroad(or hiflow cats) x/h pipe. other than the exhaust and gears, those are pretty cheap and easy to install yourself. you'll also need an sfi rated crank pulley/dampener. those can be expensive, but better than having your crank pulley explode. i use the summit brand one, works fine. stay away from ud pulleys. they help a noticable amount, but have to be removed when the sc is put in.

so i'd say focus on the supporting stuff, suspension, fuel, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
yea id get 373 gears, 75mm throttle body, plenum, exhaust and maybe stard doing some suspension work. like subframe connectors

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
I would put the vortech on like you had mentioned. And then I would just go from there. Like fm2k gt said you could do a gear change. Hey it is all about the dollar.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
yea id get 373 gears, 75mm throttle body, plenum, exhaust and maybe stard doing some suspension work. like subframe connectors
On the 5.0 underdrive pulleys are a no no can't be used...unsure of the 4.6.:scratchchin

And as above, upgrade the fuel flow.

None of this, save the gears will give you much seat of the pants gains, but the careful planning and installation of a SC will be worth the wait!:hihi:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.