Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to begin with, here is the point that i am at right now. I have a Kenwood head unit installed, and two new polk speakers in the door. I have an Infinity 4 channel (111w x 4) amp that I am trying to figure out how in the world to install. I have my dash radio area taken dissassembled and the stock amps have been taken out.

I bought an adapter to fit onto the stock plug for the head unit, it fits onto the big plug though, i left the small plug out because I was under the impression that those are the old stock amp wires (can anyone confirm that).

So I have the head unit playing with out any amps running or hooked up, it will play out of the tweeters and the rear speakers. Obviously this is all currently running off of my head unit. In the end I am hoping to run the tweeters from the radio amp, and the other 4 speakers from the amp.

Basically I have no idea how to go upon installing the new amp, I have all of the wiring I need for it.
I have a plethora of questions so I don't really know where to start.

I'm wondering what the separate plugs are that run into the amp, theres a small plug and a larger plug that runs into each and they seem to run together also. If anyone can explain that to me it would be nice.

Am I going to need to run new wire, because I'd like to keep the old wiring if I could.

Also a quick explanation of how the wiring of the system is going to go together, what has to be wired to what and so on.

I have a slight understanding of car audio, but im pretty oblivious unfortunately. Sooo.. yeah

Thank you to anyone who has some input, (on anything)

PS: It's a 2004 if that matters to anything

·
Registered
671 Posts
Dont over think this. An amp install is quite simple.

Yes, the small aftermarket wiring adapter harness that came with the larger one is a plug up to utilize the stock amps.

So this is what you have: the rear speakers and tweets are wired to the headunit through the harness. The front speakers are still wired to the stock amps (wherever the heck they are). You want to add this new amp and power the stockers (more than enough power, which is good, so youll just end up tuning it down a notch on the amp).

Wiring: Youll need one, atleast, 8 guage power wire with fuse (located no further than 14" from the battery connection), 8 guage ground wire (as short as possible), mem (control) wire, RCA wire, and speaker wire (atleast 18 guage).

The amp can be anywhere in the car, just as long as you have enough wire to go from the amp to each component.

After you have picked a location to mount the amp, I would just run 4 new wires right at the speaker terminals. The mem wire is blue (double check) on the aftermarket wiring harness. That wire can be as small as you want. It wont do sh$% for you if its any bigger than 18 guage either. The RCA wires are a given, just make sure you have one long enough and right in right and left in left. Power wire will run directly from the amp, and to the battery. It wont be necesserily hot wired because the mem wire has a master conrtol to tell the amp when to turn off or on. DO NOT be a dumba$$ and wire a tiny as power wire thats spliced onto the headunits power wire. You will f#$% something up that way. The ground wire need to be as short as possible to increase the negative connection which allows the positive to react quicker. So in that case, I would suggest mounting the amp as close to a bolt on the frame as possible.

After its all hooked up, befor turning anything on, turn the amp down and match very little RMS to the speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts