Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I drive a 1999 V6 Base with a 5 speed. The stock stereo leaves quite a bit to be desired. I want to upgrade my stereo, and I figured that upgrading to the Mach 460 system is probably the easiest way to do that.

Unfortunately I know little to nothing about audio/electronics. I just want to know what all I will need in order to upgrade? I know that I obviously need the door speakers/tweeters, the rear deck panel speakers, and the head unit. What else, if anything will I need to swap stereos? Is the wiring/wiring harnesses already installed/set up? Am I fogetting something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The harness should be there, however for the most part the 460 is only a different head unit and the tweeters, the only mach system worth upgrading to is the 1000 cause it includes 2 10's.

For the money your going to spend on getting the parts, unless you manage to find em at a junkyard(and the headunit is almost guaranteed not to be found) It would be easier and probly cheaper to go to best buy or an audio shop and get a set of new door speakers, rear speakers, and some aftermarket tweeters, or find the tweeters at a junkyard and put the aftermarket ones in the original casings(thats what i did). New door and rear speakers and a good headunit with USB, Aux, and all the goodies will probly run about 200 plus 40 for installation if you dont want to do it yourself, since the aftermarket ones require a $15 harness and possibly a bezel.

Still an aftermarket system is the better option, cheaper, better quality, and you can upgrade later with subs without any issues at all.

Also its easier to find aftermarket systems or componets tested and ready at a scrapyard and there usually pretty cheap (30-40 for a headunit) 10 for speakers, 15 for subs, like i said cheap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The harness should be there, however for the most part the 460 is only a different head unit and the tweeters, the only mach system worth upgrading to is the 1000 cause it includes 2 10's.
Umm the 460 also includes 2 amps and the 4 rear speakers are mounted on a custom board in the back. (also i think the woofers are different too)

New door and rear speakers and a good headunit with USB, Aux, and all the goodies will probly run about 200
Two good pairs of speakers will easily cost 200 alone... add another 150 or so for a good head unit. (and even more to add some amps and subs)

But I do agree with the above post in saying that you should go aftermarket. Since you don't have the 460 setup in there already it will be easy to install yourself a new setup. I wouldn't waste my money on the 460 system (it's not that great) After you spend all the money on ebay buying the head unit the rear speaker board, the amps, and the front tweeters you could have bought a better aftermarket setup.

Just go out and get a decent headunit, 4 good full range speakers, and an amp and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The only 460 system ive got stock is my vert which is different froma base coupe cause the 4 speakers are mounted in the rear seat area in the sides by the seatbelts. In my 03 its 2 6x9's on the rear deck and 2 in the doors and its sick, plus 2 10's and its a menace.

You can get nice bundle deals if you look around for speakers and a headunit for 200-300. its about 30-40 for the harness and dash kit, and if you have someone else install between 40 and 60, but the install isnt that hard and its definitely better than the 460 system

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a 99 base v6. when i got it there was a speaker box in the trunk, i cut it out. the wires in the dash were cut. the wires for the power and battery plug was installed. does anybody have any pictures, so i can tell what i am missing? i threw an old radio in. i have front speakers with new wiring ran to them. the rears have 6x9's in the tray, but no wiring. it must have had an amp, etc, i pulled all that out. but no speaker wires. i think i found the factory wiring (cut of course) at the bottom of those speakers. but other than a bundle of wires wrapped in grey sheathing, cut too, i see nothing for speakers. i would like to have the cd back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts