Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67, i6 with the standard 4-lugs, I found a few disk brake conversions for this type of brakes, that way I maintain my rear differential and just upgrade. Now I've seen my rear brake upgrade to be more expensive than my front ones. Front brakes as good as 525 and rear goes for about 750, WTH?

I've also seen more options and similar prices as above but for the 5-lugs. The differece is that I would definitely have to change my rear end. Is this worth it? I changed two gears in my differential a good year and a quarter ago, I feel like I will be throwing that away.

I don't think/know if I get better stopping power by going with the 5 lugs (Please correct me if I'm wrong) but I think the only benefit would be having a wider variety of brakes and wheels (rims) to choose from. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you are going to leave it a 6 cylinder than i would have to agree that the only reason to change to 5 lugs is so you can get rims for it easier. The stopping power depends on the size of the rotor and a few other things. I can't say for sure but i don't think the number of lugs would affect anything as far as stopping. If you do switch to 5 lugs i would get an 8" rear. should be pretty cheap to find one. it would be stronger and easier to work on/change gears in than you stock rear.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
if you could find a Granada or t-bird the parts are much less expensive, and sometimes you get lucky on the quality. Junkyard Crawl.....but end result brakes wheels and some durability easy access to parts.

·
Registered
449 Posts
another benefit of 5 lugs would be just to hold the wheels on the car if u got lots of torque in ur engine. but thatd be if ur lookin to heavily mod ur engine. or swap it out with a v8. id say if ur going disks all away around go with 5 lug, if u just doing the front stick with 4. but really ur kinda in the middle its really up to u to decide what u want to go with. performance= 5 lug all the way, looks=5 lug, cost effective just do front=4 lug. ur still gonna need a proportioning valve, maybe a new master cylinder.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Going 5 lug would let you run just any type of rim there is out there.The 8 inch rear end is stronger then your 7.5 you have and you can buy about any gear ratio for the 8 inch.The oem disc for the 5 lug are 4 piston and they stop good.Being a 67 you can keep your spindles just change the hubs and brakes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks all for your great help, I do think that going 5 is better. It definitely out weights the 4 lugger, besides I don't want to have 2 spare tires; 1-4 lug and 1-5 lug.:laugh:

Thank you all! Man I love this forum, high five to the creators:bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts