Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my brakes but not sure were to start.
Sloted or drilled, or slotted and drilled rotors?
Does size make a big difference?
What pads should I get?
What about new calipers?

My brake set up is still stock,and it sucks can anybody help?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I'm pleased with upgrading the front to Mark VII calipers, pads, and maximum motorsport brake caliper sleeves. I am also running drilled and slotted rotors. It brakes much better than stock but once you jump into a 03 cobra , you quickly see how much your brakes can be improved..... $$

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
pavich91 said:
I want to upgrade my brakes but not sure were to start.
Sloted or drilled, or slotted and drilled rotors?
Does size make a big difference?
What pads should I get?
What about new calipers?

My brake set up is still stock,and it sucks can anybody help?
Lukes Site is a great read for the SN95 Conversion. I have Cobra Brakes on my car, they are awesome!

www.mustangmotorsport.com

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply ghostdog...as usuall!!!..

I still want to keep the 4 bolt pattern though

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I dont think there is much out there that is going to let you keep 4 lugs and have a noticeable upgrade in brakes. There is a great Article on the Corral that explains the 73mm front calipers will INCREASE your stopping distance unless you make some other changes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On my first Capri I found out what it means to lose your brakes! I was at a track event at Watkin Glen and lost my brakes (overheated) going into a turn. No fun! When I got my second car I installed the later model cars 11" rotors, slotted rotors, SVO cailpers and master cylinder and DOT 4 fluid. I still have not had a chance to take the car ontrack to see if the brakes work better. I agree about the slotted brakes, unless you are going to be doing road race/track events I don't think you would need them. I also would have to think twice about a disc rear unless you plan on stressing the braking system. Since I plan on doing track time with my car I will probally look into a disc rear in the future. Next for me is chassis stiffening.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx for all your help.

From the sounds of it, I'm going to stick with my stock set up.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
pavich91 said:
thanx for all your help.

From the sounds of it, I'm going to stick with my stock set up.
Why the change of heart? In your 1st Post you explained how bad your stock brakes suck and now you say your going to keep them stock. My Cobra Brake swap was the best investment I ever could have made in the car, you should think about it some more!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Change of heart because I still want to keep the 4 lug set up.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
New wheels and tires are mucho denero............besides the cost of the brakes..........

·
Registered
73 Posts
Even if you do not go with the slotted rotors, you can still improve your brake system by doing some small improvements. Change the fluid and bleed the brakes. As the fluid gets old it absorbs water which affects the braking. You can also go with better pads (tirerack.com has good ones or hawk brakes are also a good choices). You can upgrade the calipers and master to the SVO stuff and it is pretty inexpensive, and all parts are available at most part stores. You can also install braided stainless hoses for the rubber ones. A little more expensive, but still not outragious. All will allow you to keep your four lug setup, but improve the braking on your car.

·
Registered
196 Posts
MY 4 LUG BRAKE system;
Stainless steel braided brake lines
Upgraded "crush sleeves" to steel.
SLOTTED rotors
Next is to upgrade to 73mm calipers off mark vii.
Hawk pads

I did tons of research , called rotor companies and they all agreed that with my driving (lots of stop and go and dragracing) that slotted is what is best for me.

i really wanted to get cross-drilled/slotted combo (liked the looks) but was advised even from baer, willwood etc that it is not for my application. I drive mine daily, stop semi hard, and do lots of racing. Maybe when i do not drive it daily and all than I can go to crosse-drilled.

I found 4 lug SLOTTED ROTORS No problem. I can not recommend a manufactor as I only have bought one set. Call around for what would suite your needs.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
otherstang said:
Even if you do not go with the slotted rotors, you can still improve your brake system by doing some small improvements. Change the fluid and bleed the brakes. As the fluid gets old it absorbs water which affects the braking. You can also go with better pads (tirerack.com has good ones or hawk brakes are also a good choices). You can upgrade the calipers and master to the SVO stuff and it is pretty inexpensive, and all parts are available at most part stores. You can also install braided stainless hoses for the rubber ones. A little more expensive, but still not outragious. All will allow you to keep your four lug setup, but improve the braking on your car.
I agree with this, at least tune up your brake system to help out a little bit!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks everyone. now I got something to work with

·
Registered
291 Posts
Pavich91,

I kept my stock set up but did a very noticable upgrade that wasn't too expensive. I installed Hawk brake pads, new calipers, stainless steel caliper sleaves, stainless steel brake lines, new stock rotors (buy the Bendix or Raybestos, stay away from anything from China). I replaced the rear shoes with Maxium Motorsports rearshoes, turned the drums and new rear brake cylinders, then flushed the brake lines and installed Ford Motorcraft High Proformance DOT 3 brake fluid.

The car stops much better, but you'll really notice the difference on hard braking, the fade is gone. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sounds good! I think I will go with that set up...Thanks man!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.