Ford Mustang Forum banner

Upholstery? Whats the deal?

780 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  green1992fiveoh
I'm not really worried about the upholstery in my fox just yet, (i have some other things i wanna take care of first). But i just found this while i was browsing American Muscle...

Black Mustang Front & Rear Sport Seat Upholstery - Hatchback (87-89) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

How would install it? you take the upholstery off your seats and put this over them? Do you have to sew it or anything?

Again, im just wondering...even though my seats do have some pretty nasty seats, there in the back. My passengers will just have to deal with it ;)
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
No, you don't have to sew them on.

The entire seats are easy to get out of the car, just look at the way they are held together on the underside very carefully before pulling the covers off, even take digital pictures of them first. Those black covers in the link look just like factory covers. they probably go on the same way the original ones are on there. Gimmie a break if I make a mistake in the following, it's been twenty years.

The seat covers in my '88 LX 5.0 were clipped on in places with upholstering staples, Little wire loops that tie the cover binding (heavy plastic cord) to the seat frame. (steel rod) There are a few heavy nylon snapper thingys that snap over the steel frame too. The wire staples are supposed to be worked with a special tool but I opened 'em with needle nosed pliers and re-closed them with parallel jaw pliers.

As I remember, (It was 1988 after all) there may also be a few places you will have to tie some heavy cord around the seat frame.

There may even be zippers in the backrest covers, or was that another car? Geeez, it's heck gettin old.

How did I find out, you ask? Well, "somebody":shigrin spilled a whole 20 ounce coke on my passenger side cloth bucket seat and backrest. I peeled 'em off and hosed the dried coke out with cold water, including foam pads, let 'em dry and reinstalled them.

They are a bear to wrestle on and off, tight fit. Believe me, If I can get through doing this then anybody can.

As long as we're on upholstery, don't ever put the floorboard carpet from a '72 Gremlin X in the washing machine. You don't wanna know why not. I know it don't have anything to do with whats on now, but I just thought about it and the memory made me laugh.
See less See more
I assume you are going to do the front ones to if you go to this site, www.mustang.zeroentity.com Then click on the How to's section then go to the ,fix the gangster lean which I understand is not what you are trying to do. But there are some pictures of this guy taking the upholstery off his front seats. Mabey this will give you some idea what your up against. I've never done it myself but one of my friends seats lean and I found that site for him and rembered the pictures hope it helps :bigthumbsup
See less See more
How did I find out, you ask? Well, "somebody":shigrin spilled a whole 20 ounce coke on my passenger side cloth bucket seat and backrest. I peeled 'em off and hosed the dried coke out with cold water, including foam pads, let 'em dry and reinstalled them.
Damn not having cup holders! :p

Thanks for the help you guys! Ill probably attempt that when satisfied with some performance mods! :)
See less See more
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.