Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a CAI/Tune (Demolet) back in 2006 and everything has been fine. I recently had my car serviced and when I got it back it was idleing really rough. They said they had to tighten something around the CAI as air was leaking in and the downloaded Fords latest tune. After i got the car back and drove the engine light came on so I took it back. They hooked up the car and said the car was running lean. I had the sct tuner with me so they tried loading the tune. Now the car won't even turn over. They said the PCM got wiped and they would need to contact ford to have the computer reset.

Can you provide some assistance... even after they get the computer reset I'm now scared to reload the custom tune. Not sure what to do. Can someone explain what caused the problem and what to do next.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The problems occured when Ford messed with the ECU and serviced your car OBVIOUSLY! I'd take it back and ask why they flashed the computer? did you authorize them to do that? I would have been MAD if they messed with my tune!
I use Predator but doesn't the SCT save your orignal tune?
I'd try reloading that, I'm not sure if your ECU is gonna recognize it though cause the dealership altered it, what pea brains, they should have realized the stock flash wasn't the current tune loaded so they shouldn't have messed with it!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Remember one thing, any time your going to a Dealer for service reload your stock tune. And tell the Dealer, not to flash your computer then you won't run into these issues. First try to install, your stock tune and see what happens. If you still have the issue, ask the Dealer if they reflashed your computer for any updates from FORD. Their suppose to notify you anytime they reflash the ECU, or ask if you have done anything to it so you can download your stock tune file so there are no issues afterwards. I would hold them responsible, if they reflashed without asking, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
seemed strange seeing my name, at work i go by mike t. i could be wrong but it seems to me if they changed the computer number, your custom tunes are rendered useless cause they were writtin for a diff code and ya, your car wont run. but your stock tune is in your tuner, you should be able to return it to stock, then reflash your custom. i would chew your service writers butt for doing that and make sure it never happens again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had tried reloading the stock tune and that didn't work... the car won't turn over and the car is reporting a lot of warnings (engine light, Check Charging system etc) The dealership says they have to completely reset the computer now and will charge me $250... they said it was the custom tune that wiped the pcm.
Ford did flash the pcm without my consent... but would the uploading of the custom tune cause such catastrophic results

·
Banned
822 Posts
...Ford did flash the pcm without my consent... but would the uploading of the custom tune cause such catastrophic results
Uploading the custom tune after Ford flashed the computer, is probably what caused your problems. Your custom tune was written for your original computer code, not the updated one that your Ford dealer just put in...
Your dealer caused the problem by updating without first informing you. Not sure where you stand legally though... They may be allowed to perform flash updates without first asking you, as it may be considered your responsibility to let them know that your "not-to-be-tampered-with" emission controls had been tampered with.

Moral of the story... NEVER let the dealer flash update your computer! (a step further... avoid the dealer after initial purchase...)

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ya, i have to agree with oldlugs, you made a big mistake. make sure after you get the computer fixed, you have the new number on it. then you`ll have to start over and get all new tunes. your stock tune wont work cause you have a diff code now( or did). and now, for 250.00 you`ll have a diff code again. thats the bad part, if they change your code, your custom tunes wont work, and your stock tune wont work and your car wont start if you try to use them. to make matters worse, your tuner was locked into your stock tune. and since you cant return it to stock, you may have to send it off to get the tuner opened back up. i forgot what the guys said that will cost :so if you have warenty, they probably have the right to make changes. if you didnt, then you could complain. i dont think you can do anything about it, but pay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.