Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 Mustang in which I am replacing the Upper Control Arms. I received the new arms. The upper control arm shaft is tight (will not rotate by hand). I have read Mustang Steve's FAQ which says I should loosen the large threaded bushing nuts and tack weld them. Also advises grinding a grease slot in the bottom of the shaft. Has anyone done this. Any advise/suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have rebuilt my upper control arms. You will want to replace the shaft. Those huge nuts with the grease zerks (that is the technical term) are probably already welded on, as mine were. The welds will have to be ground off so that the nuts can be loosened. If you have a grease gun, by all means, grease the shaft. Once I assembled them, I did not tack weld them to the best of my memory or grind a grease slot, but the shaft should be able to rotate by hand. Otherwise, the suspension will have an unneccesary amount of resistance. You may also wish to look into roller bearing spring perches for your upper control arms. They will allow for more precise control of your suspension. Also, if you're not going for original appearance, are interested in handling, and have a welder and some sheet metal, I would reccomend boxing in your control arms for extra strength. Upper and lower.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.