Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know where i can find one or have any ideas on how to make one, i have some 90 degree steel layin around, i need to take my lower control amrs off but dont want to deal with pullin everythin apart again.......

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, i should of mentioned that i already have the repair manual, thats how i knew there was a tool for the project, i was just lookin for anyone who has made one out of somethin else and didnt have to weld pieces together, i dont have a welder or know how to weld, plus im not about to try since that spring is under some serious pressure lol, or maybe a place that sells the tool

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haha! Good Luck on the Ford Specialty site. I worked for Ford as a tech for a few years in 04-06 and some. Yeah, we couldn't even get stuff like that. Furtherest we could get back too was 1980 something, and that was going to other dealers that had crap laying around. Go try and buy some parts for a 99 cougar, almost nothing left. :bigthumbsup

I would take that gif picture to your local weld shop and have one made. It shouldn't be that much. Thats not a lot of work. Hmmm, maybe I'll take an hour and make my own.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Have to have some strong faith in your welding ability! Can you imagine the weld failing while your hands, etc, are in the wrong place if it were to fail! Mega mousetrap!:happyhapp
dne'

I'd seen this in my Mustang manual a long time ago, and since no one ever mentioned it, I just figured it wasn't necessary, but now you bring it up and now I'd like a pair! I may check out a welding place nearby and see if I can have a set made. Thanks for bringing this up!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey dne', yeah as u know i have to open up the lower arm mounts so they have to come out but im dreadin takin EVERYTHIN apart again, lookin for the easy way out lol, i mean i have some steel but idk if it will be strong enough to hold the pressure, plus id have to do alot of work to rig somethin up so it works TIMES 2 lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ah just tryin to do less work, i just put all new parts on and to have to tear everythin back apart is like ugggghhhh...... ya just wanna step back and say S*!TTTTTT LOL

·
Registered
233 Posts
Howdy Buell! :wavey
For what you're going to have to do, you'd probably want as much "stuff" out of the way as possible. However, I don't blame you for NOT wanting to remove your springs(I HATE SPRINGS!). I can't remember if you have the disc brakes up front? Cant you just do what you have to do without messing with the UCA's? YOu can still remove the LCA's can't you? You'll just have to tie back the spindle/brakes somehow. I think I'd just go ahead and take as much bulk out of the way as possible. But you may not have to just to work on the bolt up area. Hey, try this, take loose the sway bar linkage, heck, just take the sway bar out! take the two bolts/nuts that hold the strut in place. Take the nut, and eccentric bolt assembly out, get the LCA pivot out and move it out of the way, leaving it attached to the spindle., Should't that allow enough room to work? ARe you replacing your LCA's too? IIRC, I thought it was mainly the frame that you had to straighten out.
dne'
If you need someone to talk to about it, call me!
dne'
832-607-9116

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i thought that if i try to remove the LCA that the spring will drop down........ on the other hand, since the shock is still mounted i dont think it will drop........hummmmmm, in fact, when i put everythin back together i put the LCA's on last SOOOOOOO that means it wont drop, as far as gettin that front end back in shape DNE' i have to pick up some new eccentrics and i think im goin to have to shim out the upper arms, i have no other choice.......

·
Registered
221 Posts
does anyone know where i can find one or have any ideas on how to make one, i have some 90 degree steel layin around, i need to take my lower control amrs off but dont want to deal with pullin everythin apart again.......
I was reading my Ford shop manual today and saw this tool.
I have to ask a stupid question: What function does this tool perform?
Does it only support the upper control arm so the lower control arm can be removed?

I need to do work on my suspension, so this info is important.
TIA
sparx

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was reading my Ford shop manual today and saw this tool.
I have to ask a stupid question: What function does this tool perform?
Does it only support the upper control arm so the lower control arm can be removed?

I need to do work on my suspension, so this info is important.
TIA
sparx

This tool relieves the pressure on the steering knuckle, and prevents the UCA from lowering out of the shock tower, as you jack up the car.

The shock does the same thing, only after the arm had lowered quite a bit

·
Registered
544 Posts
Holy post necromancy! :surprise:

Reactions: Grimbrand
1 - 14 of 14 Posts