Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved the set of UPR temp control knobs right before lunch. So I run out to my car to make the switch. They look good and fit well until I started turning the temp knob and the fan location selection know (middle and right). They just spin all the way around. I don't like it at all. The factory knobs have a raised area on the back of the knob that contacts an inner ring on each dial to provide a positive stop in both directions. I just wrote UPR and asked them is this is by design and if so I don't like it. Anyone else have UPR knobs and notice this or is it just mine? I know Rygen just got some of these if I remember right. I got the pure round ones that match the shape of the radio button. Part number 1003-05-5 :sosad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I experienced the same problem, but could not do anything (they were a xmas gift) but I went and ordered the ones from MDW, I am very happy with them....UPR needs to fix the problem or let people know in advance especially with the "no return" policy they have... I did post about this problem, I am sorry you did not read it before ordering
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well CRAP! I should have known better and did a search on here before I ordered. Oh well they will have to do for now. Where did you get your new ones at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I had that problem when I first installed mine but reseating them a little firmer solved it fairly easily. They don't spin anymore. You also need to take a drill bit and carefully take some of that plastic out of the colored lenses so that the light will actually shine through. The colored lens is too thick as they come.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
I had the same problem with my round ones. I took em off and put the stock ones back on. But now will try what woodj said. maybe can get them to work. Thanks woodj...... BTW woodj.....did that rear spoiler of yours cover the stock spoiler holes or did you get the spoiler delete? I like the spoiler....but got holes to cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
woodj said:
You also need to take a drill bit and carefully take some of that plastic out of the colored lenses so that the light will actually shine through. The colored lens is too thick as they come.
Wha a cool idea woodj!! What do you take out exactly? I bought the steeda ones a long time ago and never got light through them. Please explain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Sorry meant to say MGW I think web site is www.MGWltd.com ... great parts, I was having a brain fart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Woodj....that was exactly it. I pulled them off and reseated them.....just a little harder and they almost snapped into place. Now they work just as the OEM ones did. So apparently I was just being too gentle with them. Thanks for the info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
005 GT said:
I had the same problem with my round ones. I took em off and put the stock ones back on. But now will try what woodj said. maybe can get them to work. Thanks woodj...... BTW woodj.....did that rear spoiler of yours cover the stock spoiler holes or did you get the spoiler delete? I like the spoiler....but got holes to cover.
The ducktail covers the holes. Filled them in with silicone just to be sure but they cover up with no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
J&D said:
Wha a cool idea woodj!! What do you take out exactly? I bought the steeda ones a long time ago and never got light through them. Please explain.
Someone else came up with this on the Legend Lime Registry. I always thought I should be getting more light through them (I've got the green ones of course). Anyway, take a drill bit that is about the same size as the plastic goup they pour in there, maybe just a bit smaller and drill that plastic stuff out without going all the way through. A depth gauge and a drill press works real well but if you're careful you can do it with a hand drill. After you're done you can actually see what you had originally expected. Works real well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
vistapony said:
Hey Woodj....that was exactly it. I pulled them off and reseated them.....just a little harder and they almost snapped into place. Now they work just as the OEM ones did. So apparently I was just being too gentle with them. Thanks for the info!
You're welcome. I was just as pissed as you were when I first got them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Woodie, you just made my day, bro...same parts and prob here too.


YOU DA MAN!! :worship
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
I did the drill job w/ the blue plastic long ago. I see a small amount of non blue light now. The stock light is too weak for the knob light port hole. There's a metal insert inside those knobs and they will stay on the post if you pull the knobs off sometimes. Be careful for a very thin plastic washer behind the stock knobs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,106 Posts
Man was I cheesed when mine just spun around, without clicking into the stops for the fan and whatnot. GRRRRRR!!! I'll try pushing them in farther.


I thought maybe I had pushed the plastic part into the dial too far and perhaps it was supposed to be the thing that stopped the knob from turning too far. Still, got no light from the knob. Will try your solutions... well, not solutions, treatments for the symptoms. :)

Zaino-ordinary wax, its special.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top