Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok finally able to travel and go pick my car back up. Unfortunately I only have 3 days to fix it, and a limited budget.

Ok so back ground on the engine it is an 89 2.3l that has been rebuilt, new electronics all around except for my ecu which was only 6 months old anyway. The car was running before I blew the previous engine beautifully. The only thing that may need replacing is cap and rotor, and spark plug wires.
Compression is good, it is getting fuel, and air is plentiful.

Any and all ideas are appreciated, as I can't see the car right now I'm trying to gather ideas, the car turns over freely when connected to a battery charger ( the battery is trash ). I think I may have gotten tune firing order off. ( I.e. Instead of let's say 1-2-3-4 it's 4-1-2-3. ) I did put the belt on correctly. That and there is a bracket that looks like it should connect to the frame under the engine coming off the starter wire don't know if that would kill anything.

Like I said any and all help appreciated I'll have 3, maybe 4 days to do this so I'll have some time to trouble shoot and will be on AFM the whole time on my blackberry posting updates. One more reminder limited budget.

Thank you all again, I'm looking forward to ya'lls help.
B

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
WOW WHERE DO I START. First off the firing order on a dizzy 2.3 is 1-3-4-2. Is yours set correctly?? Next is the thing timed correctly cam wise and ignition as well?? Is it getting FUEL?? And does it have compression?? If it has all three it will start if everything is in TIME:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
730 Posts
Does it have spark?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok sorry bout that Tom, yes it is getting spark not as strong as I'd like though. And it is getting fuel as well, If I try to turn it over too many times I can smell unburnt fuel in the exhaust. I know the firing order by heart now but I fear in my rush to put the car together I may have started the number one plug on the wrong point. Would something like that prevent no combustion what so ever?
Did receive bad news this morning. Apparently I didn't have too many friends in tyler, some one cut my oil filter. So any oil/filter combos you'd recomend.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The only thing that may need replacing is cap and rotor, and spark plug wires.
Compression is good, it is getting fuel, and air is plentiful.
the car turns over freely when connected to a battery charger ( the battery is trash ).
In order to limit guessing you should probably start out with replacing your battery and you said spark isn't strong then for sure replace your wires, cap, rotor and plugs, and than go from there.

Would something like that prevent no combustion what so ever?
How much compression in each cylinder do you have? If it will turn over it should create compression. Also how much fuel pressure is present?

some one cut my oil filter. So any oil/filter combos you'd recomend.
huh? please explain...im having trouble picturing this. The oil filter is a round can screwed into the side of the block. Did you mean something else?

if you need a new oil filter i use FRAM PH8A and 10w30

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry it took so long guys I was in a really bad roll over, flipped my bronco II 6 times. Broke a few bones and really pissed off my Sargent.

So now back to square one and planned another trip to east Tx to go get my car.

Soon response,
Yeah the actual oil filter was all cut up and mangled. I am also now in possession of a brand new optima red top battery, and the compression on all cylinders was perfect across the board

1 - 7 of 7 Posts