Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Use a lot of caution when buying a used tuner...

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  GTNOS 
#1 ·
i learned the hard way. i bought a used predator for $100.00 it is unlocked. it powers up and works fine. it is flawless in appearance. it is also a VR7140 that was programmed by vortech. which means it has only s/c tunes built in. i called and talked to a tech at diablosport, and basically they cannot reload it to a U7140 crom or a cl7140 which is what i really want. (cl7140 has the c&L tune). what my dumba$$ did not know and am passing onto you is that i thought that all 7140's were the same, and would work. i have since learned that those pesky little letters at the beginning are very important. so dont buy a used tuner unless you know the letters in front. that is more important that whether or not it is locked. b/c locked can be fixed for $95.00. which would have gave me a new predator for $200 which is not bad. what diablosport can do for now is give me $100.00 towards a new tuner if i trade this one in. not too bad i guess, i dont lose out that way. i can still put custom tunes on this one though, bamachips has thier 3 for $115. so i can have a workable tuner for $215 or pay diablosport $270 + this tuner for a new one. probably gonna trade it in for a cl7140. so much for trying to save a buck...least i didnt loose my a$$. :so

#2 ·
Good advice, GTNOS. I was wondering if there was a problem using used tuners. I suspected buying a tuner meant for a specific application would be an issue, but wasn't sure. It would've been nice to be able to get Diablosport to just re-load the stock program. It sounds like that's not possible. So, at least you kept others from making the same mistake.:bigthumbsup

G
#3 ·
As long as you can still load new custom tunes from someone else who cares if it has Vortech s/c tunes on it too. It still works and you still got what you paid for.

Diablosport dealers don't have the capability to unlock a device, but SCT dealers can. Buy SCT. :bigthumbsup

#4 ·
yeah, the more i think about it, i can even just put a $50 bama tune on it to run my intake for now. and have a tuner for $150. the vortech s/c tunes may not matter. i wonder if the vortech tunes can be modified to work on my car... didnt think about that.... ill call doug at bama again monday...:headscratch:

#6 ·
Maybe buy a Vortech. ( Poor attempt at humor ,sorry.)

#8 ·
i made out more than OK. i dont think i would be as happy with one of diabosports tunes. and if i had diablosport tunes on the predator, i would have probably just uploaded one and went. i think i came out better than if i had bought a new tuner....not so much b/c of the $$$ i saved, but that the bamachips tunes are that good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.