Ford Mustang Forum banner

use of washers for wheel spacers?

5181 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  RLG34750
Just wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to use washers for wheel spacers? I need about 1/2 inch clearance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Nope, Spacers have threaded pieces on them, by using washers you only take thread off making your wheel less secure to teh axle.
Bad idea. Spacers designed specifically for wheels are bad enough because they increase the bending moment on the lugs significantly, often a several hundred percent increase if it is a thick spacer like 1/2 inch!

Washers would be much worse.

Another problem at 1/2 inch is the wheel's inside hub will no longer seat over the raised area at the axle center. That is what mostly keeps the wheel centered, and it takes much of the jounce from bumps. You lose all of that and depend 100% on the lug nuts to keep the wheel centered.

It is a bad idea to use any spacer that thick, and especially bad to use washers.

Tom
G
Just wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to use washers for wheel spacers? I need about 1/2 inch clearance.

Very bad idea......:nono:
I found some 1/4 in wheel spacers on ebay. I really didn't think the washers would be the brightest idea either. I'm pretty sure 1/4 in will be enough. Where can I get longer studs if I need them?
G
I found some 1/4 in wheel spacers on ebay. I really didn't think the washers would be the brightest idea either. I'm pretty sure 1/4 in will be enough. Where can I get longer studs if I need them?

you can longer studs at summit or jegs....
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.