Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyones opinion on purchasing a used set of rear gears or differential? I've never really bought used parts before, are these the kind to stay away from buying used. THanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Depends on who had the gears, if he raced the car or not, mileage also counts.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
StangLx50 said:
How about 73,000 miles on the pair, just a daily driver, hes asking around $130.
you can buy NEW for a bit more. You should go for 50% at the most of new gears. new ones cost $175.

Shoot for $85 when buying used.

if there's no chips, they should be fine.

You can also get them from junked Rangers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A posi differential is included with the gears thats why they seem so expensive, think its a good deal if they're in good shape? thanks!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
StangLx50 said:
A posi differential is included with the gears thats why they seem so expensive, think its a good deal if they're in good shape? thanks!
What kind of trak-lok?

If it's a FR unit, it's probably going to have to be rebuilt.

I'd ditch it and get a Detroit Locker.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Says its 28 spline 7.5 posi unit, but i'm trying to get more info. about it, i'll let ya know what i find out. Thanks a lot for responding!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
StangLx50 said:
Says its 28 spline 7.5 posi unit, but i'm trying to get more info. about it, i'll let ya know what i find out. Thanks a lot for responding!!
this going into a 5.0 car? just asking because ur name implies it......7.5 was 4 cyl rear end..... u need to look for 8.8 rear gears and a posi unit

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
GhostlyStang said:
this going into a 5.0 car? just asking because ur name implies it......7.5 was 4 cyl rear end..... u need to look for 8.8 rear gears and a posi unit
It's in the V6 section. He has a V6.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a v6 forum!! Crap!! No just kidding, Its going into a 2002 v6, i know i used to own an LX 5.0 convertible, wished i hadn't gotten rid of it but i guess i can't complain with these gas prices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.