Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had another thread in 'talk' before i used it, but thought this should be here.

I used goddamn Seafoam through the brake booster line, only that, and only 1/3 of the can like you're supposed to. I poured it very slowly with a friend in the car and it didn't die when i was pouring it. After i was done pouring, we shut it off, waited 10 minutes, then started it up and ran it for a few minutes. There was NO smoke at all as far as i could see when i started it back up. Took it for a test drive and oh my god. It's running so bad i don't know what to do. I drove it for 20 or so minutes and it didn't make a single improvement during the drive. It's hesitating so hard. Every time i get on the gas at all it loses all power, dips down, and usually stalls if i'm in 1st gear. In other gears it just loses power completely and starts bucking really bad. It only drove normally when i barely touched the gas and rode the clutch like a mf'er.

Should i keep running it at idle? Is the seafoam still in the engine? It doesn't seem like it's improving at all.

Please help, anyone

·
Registered
603 Posts
Please Chill with the G D!! Far as your car running rough sounds like you didnt follow directions correctly? what vacuum line did you use to add the seafoam
and you may have fouled the plugs out i would clean them or replace the plugs if there old. that will fix it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please Chill with the G D!! Far as your car running rough sounds like you didnt follow directions correctly? what vacuum line did you use to add the seafoam
and you may have fouled the plugs out i would clean them or replace the plugs if there old. that will fix it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
That's just it though! I put it through the brake booster line really really slowly and followed every direction as closely as possible. I'm not sure if i should keep running it or not. Man i wasn't betting on it messing anything up this bad

·
Registered
723 Posts
Did you put it in the crankcase and gas? And no smoke came out of the exhaust at all? When I first tried seafoam no smoke came out either....and the car had some hesitation.....I did another treatment a week later and finally got smoke and the car runs fine. Maybe another treatment will help?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Seafoam should not hurt your engine, you'll have to run it till it clears out though. I've used it a lot and no problems, but I don't ever put it down a vacuum line. The can says to put it in the oil or the fuel, nothing about the lines. I think this vacuum line thing is an urban roomer and it's pure crap, don't do it!:nono:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have used Seafoam in 7 different vehicles, both carb and EFI, and I have never heard of an issue of that nature. Seafoam will normally just burn off...if it has gone in the correct places (I.e., intake and cylinders). I agree that you might have gotten it in somewhere that you didn't want it by mistake, like some other vacuum line.

Make sure to just run the engine for a few minutes at about 2000rpm while in the driveway...see how it does after that.

PS: don't worry if you don't get a lot of smoke. It is common but not required.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you put it in the crankcase and gas? And no smoke came out of the exhaust at all? When I first tried seafoam no smoke came out either....and the car had some hesitation.....I did another treatment a week later and finally got smoke and the car runs fine. Maybe another treatment will help?
I wasn't planning on putting it in the crankcase, was gonna put it in the gas after the intake but not so sure now. The last thing i'm thinking about is putting more of that stuff in my engine haha.

Seafoam should not hurt your engine, you'll have to run it till it clears out though. I've used it a lot and no problems, but I don't ever put it down a vacuum line. The can says to put it in the oil or the fuel, nothing about the lines. I think this vacuum line thing is an urban roomer and it's pure crap, don't do it!
No sir, i got the can right here. "With warm engine running, SLOWLY induce 1/3 pint direct into vacuum line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes..." i did wait a bit longer, 10 minutes, but i've seen people say they left it in for over 30 minutes with normal results.

I don't know how i could have gotten it in the wrong place. Unless the last guy that owned the car completely rerouted the vacuum lines. I took the brake booster line off and poured it in.
I guess i'll start by checking the plugs. bleh.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't mean to over-bump myself but just an update..

Just went out and started her up again before i called it a night and now my eyes are burning. Lots of smoke definitely came out finally but it's still hesitating and misfiring hard. It seemed to be a bit better, it idled on its own for 20 or 30 minutes. Only got wobbly and died a couple times. I gave it a few revs here and there.

And my neighbors are probably pissed.. it's almost midnight haha
There was still some smoke coming out when i shut it off so hopefully what's left in there overnight won't hurt it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like you'll be okay.

Back in the 80s I used something similar, forgot the name, but it was NOT Seafoam, and I unseated the rings in my car. They never seated again, and the car was lazy (low compression) and smoked like crazy from the tailpipe until I replaced the engine.

That said, I have used Seafoam MANY times since from my time as a service tech, and never had an issue.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Sounds like you'll be okay.

Back in the 80s I used something similar, forgot the name, but it was NOT Seafoam, and I unseated the rings in my car. They never seated again, and the car was lazy (low compression) and smoked like crazy from the tailpipe until I replaced the engine.

That said, I have used Seafoam MANY times since from my time as a service tech, and never had an issue.
It wasn't this was it :?:

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
Had another thread in 'talk' before i used it, but thought this should be here.

I used goddamn Seafoam through the brake booster line, only that, and only 1/3 of the can like you're supposed to. I poured it very slowly with a friend in the car and it didn't die when i was pouring it. After i was done pouring, we shut it off, waited 10 minutes, then started it up and ran it for a few minutes. There was NO smoke at all as far as i could see when i started it back up. Took it for a test drive and oh my god. It's running so bad i don't know what to do. I drove it for 20 or so minutes and it didn't make a single improvement during the drive. It's hesitating so hard. Every time i get on the gas at all it loses all power, dips down, and usually stalls if i'm in 1st gear. In other gears it just loses power completely and starts bucking really bad. It only drove normally when i barely touched the gas and rode the clutch like a mf'er.

Should i keep running it at idle? Is the seafoam still in the engine? It doesn't seem like it's improving at all.

Please help, anyone
Have you replaced the fuel filter yet?

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
No. I didn't put any seafoam in the gas tank. I just tried it through the intake and that's what's causing all these problems.

So your car was missing before you put sea foam in the intake, and now it is running rough after and you think the sea foam caused the problem.
Your running rough because your not getting consistent fuel flow. Replace the fuel filter.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does your car have catalytic converters?? I used gum out 2 step kit in a customers car that had clogged converters and had similar results.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

No cats. It's got an offroad pipe.

So your car was missing before you put sea foam in the intake, and now it is running rough after and you think the sea foam caused the problem.
Your running rough because your not getting consistent fuel flow. Replace the fuel filter.
No it wasn't missing before i put the seafoam in. It was just running kinda crappy, stalling out sometimes, etc. The Seafoam very obviously caused the problem. It was driveable and all before, just a bit rough at idle. But as soon as i seafoam it, it's barely running and undriveable. I appreciate the suggestion but i honestly don't see how changing the fuel filter could fix my problem.

Also, i just changed the spark plugs and no improvement whatsoever. So back to brainstorming. I'm thinking maybe the O2 sensors got clogged up from all the crap getting pushed through the exhaust. So i'll clean them and see how it does. No high hopes though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It could be the o2 sensors as well... Not very likely though. You're sure your brake booster was hooked back up properly? Or possibly the line was dry rotted and broke somewhere when you pulled it off?? How are your brakes?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It could be the o2 sensors as well... Not very likely though. You're sure your brake booster was hooked back up properly? Or possibly the line was dry rotted and broke somewhere when you pulled it off?? How are your brakes?

I took the o2 sensors out last night and tried to clean them with a wire brush. They were caked on BLACK. Last time i saw them, not too long ago, i don't recall them being that dirty. I couldn't really clean the inside of em though. I might take them out again and soak em in gas for a few hours today and see if that helps. Also gonna check for codes again today.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay so today i ran it for a minute, checked the codes, and it came up with codes 42 and 92, "HEGO (o2) sensor voltage high/system rich (same exact thing, not sure why different codes)

So i took out the o2 sensors and cleaned them with gasoline, put em back on, and checked the codes again. Now it's coming up with codes 41 and 91, "HEGO sensor voltage low/system lean

Complete opposite codes but the engine is running the same as before. So is it safe to say my O2 sensors are bad? Not that that's gonna fix everything, but does it sound like they're bad? O'reillys closes in a couple hours. someone please respond before i waste more money on nothing.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Crap, wish I knew man. Those sensors are expensive!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts