Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a lot of racing around the town I live in and I'm always looking for another race. I enjoy most taking down Import cars. I have a very deep hatred of non-American cars. i just don't think they can make any power no matter what. I have run a lot of cars in my 4.0 mustangs. I have won a lot and lost a lot and the most wins i ever had were against imports, specifically Volkswagons.

I have some respect for them because I know that they have been in this contry for a long long time and hot rodders have been hoping them up for a long time as well. But there were several instances where a VW owner thought FWD was the best thing ever. and every single time the out come was the same. Front wheel drive just doesn't hook. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I have beaten a few 2.0s and some TDI models, but a friend of mine and a VW lover just bought a 1.8T 5 speed Jetta and i am itching to get a shot at him, along with all the import guys he knows. I can remember a couple times taking VWs to the cleaners. It always brings me joy beating Import cars

·
Registered
301 Posts
VW in general are not quick cars. In the simplest form, they are commuter cars that feel fast because of their low boost turbochargers. That in mind you can make one considerably faster by adding a chip for not much money. My dad had a TDI which had a fun band of torque, but it's drawback was that it weighed too much. He traded it for a GTI which is considerably more fun; especially through the twisties, but in a straight line won't hold with a mustang GT (comparably priced). If you're looking for a good race with a VW owner, search out a golf R, you'll have some fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beating VW's is like killing baby seals. First few whacks is interesting, but then it just gets monotonous.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey but the VW'S have that turbo..... that little tiny baby turbo haha

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
"Back in the day" I had a '64 Ford Fairlane. 260 V8 2 barrel, with a 2 speed automatic transmission. It was a 2 door, too! Loved that car; it was my first. But man, was she slow.

About 1986, I wound up at a stoplight with some guy in a VW diesel rabbit! I thought, "At last, here is my chance." I neutral revved, and dropped into gear at full throttle with my column shifter, for maximum lurch! (no tire smoke in this grand old girl, even doing that)

... never saw anything but his taillights. It was a sad, sad day for the poor Swearlane. Yep. Lost to a VW rabbit with a DIESEL.

That cool old car bit the dust thanks to some jerk in a '70 Caprice Classic who smashed up her back end during a blizzard, and shoved the bumper up to her rear seat or so. But the 302 and 3 speed C4 that dad and I built to put in her lived on, in a '67 Mercury Cougar that I bought a week later. I love me some Cougars...

·
Registered
23 Posts
VW in general are not quick cars. In the simplest form, they are commuter cars that feel fast because of their low boost turbochargers. That in mind you can make one considerably faster by adding a chip for not much money. My dad had a TDI which had a fun band of torque, but it's drawback was that it weighed too much. He traded it for a GTI which is considerably more fun; especially through the twisties, but in a straight line won't hold with a mustang GT (comparably priced). If you're looking for a good race with a VW owner, search out a golf R, you'll have some fun.
Wrong. They feel fast because they spool upaand have 4.16 gearing, least in the mk6. Mk6 stage two makes 280-290whp and 300ish wtq. K04 mk6 gtis will beat a stock 5.0 from 11-16. Mk7 will do that just stage 2. Golf R stage 2 is slower then a gti stage 2+. Stage 3 gti has a grx28 or a 3071r which will keep up with some boosted 5.0's. Stage 2 mk7 golf R make 400 give or take all wheel up. Hell mk6 gti's can run a k04 ith stock hardware. Mk7 gti with a is38 and it'll beat modded 5.0 cars. Problem is traction off the line from a roll they can be very quick. Same things that make the ecoboost such a bang for buck car apply to the gti's and golf R's only more so because after market for them is bigger right now.

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
I hate to admit it . . . but I have been neck-to-neck, and even passed, by a late-model GTI on a road track (yes, a real live road-race track, not the street where the supidest driver wins)

they are no joke . . . pretty sure the recent ones are all-wheel-drive which eliminates a big disadvantage (FWD)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hate to admit it . . . but I have been neck-to-neck, and even passed, by a late-model GTI on a road track (yes, a real live road-race track, not the street where the supidest driver wins)

they are no joke . . . pretty sure the recent ones are all-wheel-drive which eliminates a big disadvantage (FWD)
Their disadvantage comes from a dig. From a roll where traction isn't as much an issue fwd is the best platform for roll racing. Not to mention if they are equip with the dsg or awd and the dsg in the R's if your up against a newer one stage 2 it will give stock GT's a very good run for it's money if not beat it outright. That aside there are lots of cars that have small displacement with a turbo that can make good power with basic bolt ons.

·
Registered
483 Posts
FWIW, back in the late 80s and early 90s i was active in the local chapter of the Shelby Dodge Club.

It was very easy to get the Shelby GLHS with its intercooled 2.2 turbo into the 10s in the 1/4. Granted FWD is not ideal but it certainly didn't keep the car from running away from the 5.0 Mustangs and 5.0/5.7 Camaros of the time.

There was a guy in the club with a short wheelbase Dodge mini van with the 2.2 turbo that ran low 12s in the 1/4. His favorite pass time was embarrassing the 5.0 Mustangs and 5.0/5.7 Camaros at the Friday night test n tune at the local strip.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts