Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my 97' V6 in the garage today to change the oil pan gasket as it's leaking bad and starting reading the Haynes. What a nightmare this is going to be. It's also an automatic.

I'm sure that there has to be a better way to do this than pull the transmission, etc..

I'm thinking is it possible to remove the driveshaft, pull the tranny mount off, and pull the engine up two inches or so? I would think that by doing this the engine would be at an angle w/ the tranny pointed downwards and then I would be able to access the oil pan..

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same issue..my pan is leaking also on my 97 mustang. I talked to my Bro who is a mech an said jackn the motor is the deal..geez I'm wondering if Dura Seal would be easier?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Changed mine a few monts ago. Removed the transmission, raised the engine a few inches and removed the pan. I replaced the rear main seal while I was there. Still leaks, which means that the rear main cap is what is leaking, not the pan or the seal. Time to remve the engine and pull the rear cap.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Oil leak dye sold at any auto parts store, need black light and tinted glasses. It's been a while since i've done one but I don't recall pulling trans. I was always one to look for the faster way even if it took longer the first time???LOL! Just remove motor mount nuts and jack motor up a couple inches, be careful not to go too far as there are breakables up top. With starter and oil filter removed it will almost fall out as my memory serves me. this is a silicone type gasket except for the rear main cap has a neoprene type gasket on it. The critical part is getting everything clean and keeping oil off the sealing area when installing pan. I always used brakleen to final clean all sealing surfaces. DO NOT SPRAY BRAKLEEN INTO CRANKCASE AS IT HAS A TENDENCY TO STAY IN AND STRIP ALL THE NASTIES OUT OF ENGINE AND CLOG OIL PUMP PICKUP TUBE. Use a clean rag and spray the rag and wipe surfaces clean.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't think it can be done with the transmission in the car, but I could be wrong. The automatic might be different, but the 5 speed requires removal of the transmission and bellhousing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also am pretty sure the tranny needs to come out, along with starter...etc. Even the crank may need to be turned to different positions to help with clearance. At one point, I was ready to drop the K member. My pan was sealed with silicone...no gasket. Be patient and ready to walk away for awhile if you need to.

Bruce

·
Registered
176 Posts
Now that Bruski6595 says drop the k member, the light goes on take 2 bolts out replace with longer bolts, remove steering rack bolts and support rack. Loosen other 2 k member bolts and lower k member down by backing off longer bolts, caution do not remove bolts completely (the 2 long ones). Used this trick on t-birds and cougars also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm doing mine on a 2001 V6 an I have lifted the engine lowered the k member and I still can get it out. After a full week of working on the car and going to work I have just about given up. I am trying one last thing before i just remove the k member completely.i have taken the struts, and springs out just to get the pan even close to being low enough. This job is a pain, and unless you already have tools plan on spending a chunk of money on the tools, or that same amount or more to take it somewhere.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
992 Posts
Mine came out very easy with the transmission removed and the engine raised about 2 inches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pulled my 97' V6 in the garage today to change the oil pan gasket as it's leaking bad and starting reading the Haynes. What a nightmare this is going to be. It's also an automatic.

I'm sure that there has to be a better way to do this than pull the transmission, etc..

I'm thinking is it possible to remove the driveshaft, pull the tranny mount off, and pull the engine up two inches or so? I would think that by doing this the engine would be at an angle w/ the tranny pointed downwards and then I would be able to access the oil pan..

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks in Advance.
Remove the right and left motor mounts support engine can raise couple inches then remove coil spring 3 mounting position bolts 2 upper wheel well 1 sub frame will complete clearance problem no need to remove transmission or motor,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts