Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal - I just talked to BASSANI about a loud drone from the axelbacks I put on my 2012 V6 Premium Convertible...beautiful workmanship and tone (until I got the speed up Sunday...)

I have an automatic (they knew this when I first called them a month or more ago, before ordering through AutoAnything). :nono:

They NOW tell me that at 2000 RPM, EVERY AFTERMARKET EXHAUST SYSTEM YOU TRY TO GET A GOOD NOTE OUT OF WILL DRONE LOUDLY, and the only way to get it to lessen is let off the gas. They said even with a manual, the only way to lower the drone is let off the gas! :p

At 73-80 MPH, the RPM's are 2000 and the drone is louder than a 50% setting on the Shaker sound system...and headache producing at long distances I'm expect...:mesad:

Just frickin' LOVELY...

So I am left with 1) returning them IF they allow it or 2) trying HushMatt ttreatment in the trunk and wheel wells (in the trunk), along with a sound dampening matt over that.

If I can lose 50-60% of the drone, I can live with that...

Just BUYER BEWARE if you have automatic.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I dont notice any drone with my pypes cat-back setup....maybe I am use to it, but I dont recall hardly any when I installed new.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dang Vsch...well it's no WONDER you don't notice the drone....

If that picture in your Avatar is riding next to you, your ears gotta be ringin' while you're toolin' along :cooldude:

G

·
Huh? did vschaos say something?
Any way, Maganflow streets don't drone, pypes don't, dynomax don't, the new Borlas(depends on build date) don't drone. I wouldn't believe what they're saying, dynomat or peel n' seal will only drop the noise a couple of db's.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I noticed the drone was at its worst in 6th gear (2.73s) at around 2000 rpm going up big foothills/mts on the highway. With a manual you can just drop down to 5th and the resonance lessens. On the flats I didn't have an issue.

The other thing I noticed was the drone lessened when I changed to 3.31 gears (80 mph in 6th = 2400 rpms).

I do believe most other systems drone too, as I've read many complaints on these boards. If the drone is too much, you can always go back to the stock exhaust, other alternatives are Corsa & Borla Touring. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Newly RE-RE-designed Borla Touring has no drone at all. I know what you are dealing with and how it can hurt your head. The difference is Borla recognized the problem and corrected it while bassani is trying to blow you off.

Here's the deal - I just talked to BASSANI about a loud drone from the axelbacks I put on my 2012 V6 Premium Convertible...beautiful workmanship and tone (until I got the speed up Sunday...)

I have an automatic (they knew this when I first called them a month or more ago, before ordering through AutoAnything). :nono:

They NOW tell me that at 2000 RPM, EVERY AFTERMARKET EXHAUST SYSTEM YOU TRY TO GET A GOOD NOTE OUT OF WILL DRONE LOUDLY, and the only way to get it to lessen is let off the gas. They said even with a manual, the only way to lower the drone is let off the gas! :p

At 73-80 MPH, the RPM's are 2000 and the drone is louder than a 50% setting on the Shaker sound system...and headache producing at long distances I'm expect...:mesad:

Just frickin' LOVELY...

So I am left with 1) returning them IF they allow it or 2) trying HushMatt ttreatment in the trunk and wheel wells (in the trunk), along with a sound dampening matt over that.

If I can lose 50-60% of the drone, I can live with that...

Just BUYER BEWARE if you have automatic.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
OP, I have FRPP sports and at around 2k RPM's there's a rumble for sure, but its definitely not drone... It's more of a vibration through the frame of the car rather than a noise. It was doing the same thing stock, and every other automatic car I drive is the same way, it just seems that our mustangs really pronounce it! I have 2.73 gears, by the way.

So what I'm saying is the Bassani guys are full of BS- Borla exhaust and the FRPP definitely don't have any drone at any RPM, guaranteed by the makers and testimonials. :nono:

Edit: Does cruise control help at all with the drone? I know with the stock audio system I can put the radio up to 4 full bars volume and the exhaust cannot be heard whatsoever in the cabin, so what you have is definitely not normal from a system that's allegedly drone free...

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
It's more of a vibration through the frame of the car rather than a noise.
In other words a resonance or drone.

I do agree that it is a characteristic of the 3.7L engine, and is why the stock mufflers are so much larger than most aftermarket mufflers.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
In other words a resonance or drone.

I do agree that it is a characteristic of the 3.7L engine, and is why the stock mufflers are so much larger than most aftermarket mufflers.
I see what you're saying Joe, but I don't think it's an exhaust induced drone- I do believe it's just the engine at that specific RPM. Which is why I hate to classify it as a drone because it's been giving that vibration since I've had the car- stock mufflers and all. The FRPP sport hasn't changed it one bit. And it's certainly not something that can be heard or give headaches. I've asked passengers if they can hear it or feel it and they say no and have no clue what I'm talking about. So really if you go with the FRPP, expect the car to feel like it did with stock mufflers. And if you don't like the way it is stock, then get another car :winks

The "drone" in this video is what I think the OP is hearing from his Bassani's:
‪exhaust drone‬‏ - YouTube

(Listen using a headset or earbuds, NOT computer speakers)

If that is what the OP is dealing with, then I can say what I experience is DEFINITELY not drone.

735 Posts
With my stock mufflers, there was absolutely no vibration/resonance/drone whatsoever.

With the Cherry Bombs, there was pronounced vibration/resonance/drone between 1200-2000 rpm.

Back to stock mufflers, the extremely annoying vibration/resonance/drone completely disappeared.

Will be staying stock ...

·
Registered
411 Posts
With my stock mufflers, there was absolutely no vibration/resonance/drone whatsoever.

With the Cherry Bombs, there was pronounced vibration/resonance/drone between 1200-2000 rpm.

Back to stock mufflers, the extremely annoying vibration/resonance/drone completely disappeared.

Will be staying stock ...
The new borla touring mufflers were 3 inches longer than the old set, almost as long as stock mufflers. There is no drone at all and they sound great!

·
Registered
246 Posts
735 Posts
The new borla touring mufflers were 3 inches longer than the old set, almost as long as stock mufflers. There is no drone at all and they sound great!
Thanks for the info cbax! Problem is, I already spent $270 to have the Cherry Bombs installed + another $80 to have them removed.

So I'm already $350 in the hole, and don't want to spend any more $$ on exhaust related items (is there any one out there who LOVES exhaust system drone that wants to buy my C/Bombs?:laugh:).

I was thinking about resonators as an inexpensive fix, but didn't want to mess with the OEM exhaust system that's ahead of the axle backs.

Live and learn I guess ...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem is resolved!

Corsa's installed Tuesday morning and I couldn't be happier :laughlitt :laughlitt :laughlitt
perfect exhaust note whether on start up, idle, moderate acceleration or pedal-to-the-metal...they rock :worship

The Bassani's are posted in the classified section - someone's gonna get a steal if they don't mind the drone....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts