Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are already a hundred posts on this, but most seem to deal with the shaker system. I have the base stereo and the sound is pretty horrible, if you want to listen to music louder than about 25% the sound quality goes out the window. I was wondering if i put in new speakers will the stock head unit be able to power nicer speakers? or should i just wait for the scosche dash kit and upgrade to a nicer head unit etc and do it right. i enjoy listening to my rock LOUD with the windows down, but at the same time i dont need the whole block to hear what im playing. thanks in advance for the help. by the way i LOVE the new car

·
Registered
192 Posts
I recommend that you go ahead and replace those speakers. Later on you can always add a head unit, amp, and sub woofer.

·
Registered
373 Posts
+1 to sorting out some new speakers. Changing them out will make any system that much better. You can find good speakers for $50 - $100 a set - The top 3 seem to be Inifinity, Pioneer and Kenwood. And then when you finally do get around to sorting out a head unit, half the work will already be done! =)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im no expert at this, but if i replace the speakers with ones that are compatable with the output from the stock head unit will they be overpowered if i eventually get a new head unit?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Nope. The real thing to consider is if you're going with an amplifier too, if not, anything in the 50-60W rms range will be fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree the base stereo is awful. Both my 2007 fusion and my 2010 focus had a better sound overall (well at least to the point where I didn't want to throw money at the stereo). I just purchased Alpine sps517's online for $60 for the front speakers. going to put them in tomorrow. will report back on the change in sound quality. I too don't want to replace my HU.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i decided on 4 speakers and an amp. If I'm ripping apart my car to put in speakers i may as well put in an amp right? I'm thinking about putting in jl speakers because ive heard they are the best. ive heard mixed reviews about 2 way and three way speakers. i was hoping to get some input. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I agree the base stereo is awful. Both my 2007 fusion and my 2010 focus had a better sound overall (well at least to the point where I didn't want to throw money at the stereo). I just purchased Alpine sps517's online for $60 for the front speakers. going to put them in tomorrow. will report back on the change in sound quality. I too don't want to replace my HU.
Well? What is the result? :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Probably the more flexible setup is JL C2-570x.

The 15w minimum should be able to be powered by the headunit. The 100w max gives you room for an amp.

Speaker quality and install are a lot for important than round or 2way vs 3way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.