Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its probably all ready on here somewhere but im new and still learning to navigate this. i have a 97 v6 mustang that im wanting to rebuild and the transmission locked up and no one has any anywhere. what would a complete motor rebuild kit consist of and whats a good place to get a transmission rebuild kit. i can do the work myself since im a mechanic for the army. but anyone i have talked to looks at me like im stupid when i ask for a rebuild kit for my car. they have a complete rebuild kit for anything chevy but not my mustang i just dont understand it

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
T-5 rebuild kits are readily available, but they run the gamut as to price and contents... The cheap kits don't have nearly enough in them and the expensive ones can be overkill. (PM me and I can suggest some sources if you can't find one, or want my opinion of one that you have found.)

LOCKED UP? Generally, when a T-5 locks completely up it has broken teeth on the gears and extensive damage. Occasionally they will get stuck in one gear and be locked up in any gear EXCEPT the one that it is stuck in. If it is a selector issue, that won't be too bad to straighten out, but I'm expecting the worst here...

Now if it needs a bunch of gears, you should be able to still find a decent V-6 T-5 and replace it for less... The gears themselves are not cheap!

You will want one with a tag on it that reads 1352-238 out of a 94-98 V-6 to match your original.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You are welcome!

... a year and a half later!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts