Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order a Fumoto valve (replaces the drain plug with a ball valve). I prefer the ones with a 5/8" hose nipple but might not if the drain plug is vertical and exposed. The car isn't here at the moment and the only oil change was the initial free dealer one so I have not been under the car to see the plug.

So anyone who has changed their oil, what angle is the drain plug at and if it happens to be vertical is it up out of the way where an inch and a half (including nipple) extra length would put it at risk?

And if anyone has installed a Fumoto on their V6 which part number did you get? They list part numbers for various Ford motors but not the 3.7 and say F101 fits all other Fords. But I don't trust the list being up to date.

·
Registered
268 Posts
R/H side of pan and as far aft as possible. Comes out horizontally. In fact, the oil shot out about two feet to the side when I pulled the plug. Luckily I had a large drain pan and caught all of it. Took me by surprise though.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would call them or email them to be sure what part #
Tel: (425) 869-7771
Fax: (425) 869-2558
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
All of the 2011 Mustang oil drain plugs are M12 - 1.75. This covers the 3.7, 5.0 and 5.4. Ford lists their plug # as 6730. Fumoto Valve part # you need is F107S if you want the short nipple although as oldncrusty mentions it's horizontal, you could fit the long nipple in there with no worries. It's not recessed if I recalled correctly.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R/H side of pan and as far aft as possible. Comes out horizontally. In fact, the oil shot out about two feet to the side when I pulled the plug. Luckily I had a large drain pan and caught all of it. Took me by surprise though.
Thanks. I'll be getting the long nipple version.

I would call them or email them to be sure what part #
Tel: (425) 869-7771
Fax: (425) 869-2558
[email protected]
Thanks. I'll do that to be sure. See below

All of the 2011 Mustang oil drain plugs are M12 - 1.75. This covers the 3.7, 5.0 and 5.4. Ford lists their plug # as 6730. Fumoto Valve part # you need is F107S if you want the short nipple although as oldncrusty mentions it's horizontal, you could fit the long nipple in there with no worries. It's not recessed if I recalled correctly.

So Fumoto's list is NOT up to date. I saw they had the 107 part number for the new 5.0 but didn't know if the V6 had the same threads.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
let us know how your install goes and what the part # is.

i hope this thing doesn't seize up after a few tough salty winters..that's my biggest concern...looks like a great idea though.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

i hope this thing doesn't seize up after a few tough salty winters..that's my biggest concern...looks like a great idea though.
It's definitely f107, m12-1.75.

I've had the fumoto valve on 6 cars in Michigan. They never lose a drop of oil and they never corrode or seize up.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I would have ordered today but neither Fumoto or their biggest retailer have returned my calls. I'm sure wrxified is right on the threads though. I've got F107N in my cart along with the locking clip which I will decide to use or not after installation.

I don't have snow or salt but these are ball valves and made of brass so are probably okay anywhere.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It's definitely f107, m12-1.75.

I've had the fumoto valve on 6 cars in Michigan. They never lose a drop of oil and they never corrode or seize up.
i'm debating on whether to use this or just do it old school with a torque wrench. Sometimes I wonder whether we try to simplify things too much when they don't need to be. Have you found that it really does simplify your oil changes?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
i'm debating on whether to use this or just do it old school with a torque wrench. Sometimes I wonder whether we try to simplify things too much when they don't need to be. Have you found that it really does simplify your oil changes?
You'll love it once you install it. It makes so much less of a mess. No skin scorching oil down the arm. It makes the oil changes a simple ordeal. I can always get my oil filter off from the top without a wrench so my oil changes require no hand tools. Just a pan, 6 quarts of oil and a filter.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You'll love it once you install it. It makes so much less of a mess. No skin scorching oil down the arm. It makes the oil changes a simple ordeal. I can always get my oil filter off from the top without a wrench so my oil changes require no hand tools. Just a pan, 6 quarts of oil and a filter.
LMAO ! :heha:

Do you change it right after racing in July?

Just kidding. I think I will get one.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't care that much about time saving from just turning a valve but having the oil go straight into the catch pan in a hose instead of a stream thru the air that changes where it lands as it drains is a big plus for me.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't care that much about time saving from just turning a valve but having the oil go straight into the catch pan in a hose instead of a stream thru the air that changes where it lands as it drains is a big plus for me.
you're right. that moment when the plug is coming off is always an unpredictable moment. you figure in today's day and age, that making a mess during an oil change would be a thing of the past. i laughed at my mechanic when he changed the oil on my explorer, a lot of squinting and ducking and frantically moving the catch pan around, the dude looks like he emerged from a coal mine after a couple months.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
@wrxified,
Do you still need to get the car up on ramps or stands, or can you just reach under the car to open the valve?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I still need the ramps. I don't think my pan would've fit at stock height and now I'm lowered a little.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wrxified,

They finally called back AFTER I placed my order. They say someone else told them they needed the adapter (basically an extension) to work on the Mustang 3.7. The extension is for applications where something else would get in the way of opening the valve such as with a recessed drain.

Did you need an adapter?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Okay I could say trust me but I understand your reluctance seeing that you don't know me.....so I drained my oil.:gringreen I'm always looking for a reason to hop under my car.

It's for sure not a recessed plug. Maybe they think you need it because of the bump above the plug. My valve cleared it just barely. It nudged it a little when I was making the last turn to tighten it down but I had no problem without an extension. 2nd picture, F017S installed, no adapter.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay I could say trust me but I understand your reluctance seeing that you don't know me.....so I drained my oil.:gringreen I'm always looking for a reason to hop under my car.

It's for sure not a recessed plug. Maybe they think you need it because of the bump above the plug. My valve cleared it just barely. It nudged it a little when I was making the last turn to tighten it down but I had no problem without an extension. 2nd picture, F017S installed, no adapter.
I apologize if I sounded like I didn't trust you. I was so sure you would have mention an extension if you used one that I did NOT cancel my order. I was just asking to be 1000% sure because technically all I had asked originally was if 107 was the right type.

Thanks for the confirmation and pics.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i wonder how many vendors carry this. i'd like to shop around but i'm on low bandwidth for the weekend. anyone find the lowest price somewhere? thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts