1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was looking to make my car a little faster
its a V6 and it has headers, some exhaust work and a k&n intake
i want to put a V8 in there but im not sure if i can
does anyone know if i would be able to do this?

thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
What is your mechanical ability?

It is by all means possible, just depends on how well your skill with cars.

Basically you would need the engine/tranny, a wirring harness, 8.8 rear end, possibly the instrument cluster.

Only a 4.6L 2 or 4 valve would be emissions compliant.

·
Registered
61 Posts
with the money you are going to spend on getting the v8,,,labor and all that other stuff.....sell your v6 and buy a v8....:bigthumbsup.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Really, if you want a V8 and you have a v6, sell the 6 and get an 8. Thats the easiest and cheapest way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What is your mechanical ability?

It is by all means possible, just depends on how well your skill with cars.

Basically you would need the engine/tranny, a wirring harness, 8.8 rear end, possibly the instrument cluster.

Only a 4.6L 2 or 4 valve would be emissions compliant.
with the money you are going to spend on getting the v8,,,labor and all that other stuff.....sell your v6 and buy a v8....:bigthumbsup.
These are excellent suggestions. However depending on year model of the mustang, you can get decent performance out of the v6 with out going too wild price wise. Granted it's going to cost you for quality pieces, but there are some high hp n/a sixxers running around. As a matter of fact, I know of one thats a 12second mustang (new edge, bolt ons + spray)

I'm not trying to talk you out of going v8, but there are options for building the 6. A good exhaust, a set of headers, gear swap, CAI, UDP... etc. You get the point, if you're interested in the v6 aspect I can give you a few tips and point you in the right direction. Drop me a pm and I'll help you out.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I would ask yourself what you want from the car as well. If you want something thats easier on gas and just a little more power, then a bolt-on/tuned V6 would be enough.

I think if you want to get serious about going fast, then the V8 would be easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The only way you can get v8 power out of the six is either forced induction or porting and polishing the heads and intake, along with a better cam. Simple bolts-ons will not give you v8 power.

If you want to make your 6 faster, start out by getting a 93 octane tune, and put in some gears and a t-lock. Gears, t-lock, and tune will make it a whole different car. They are the only mods that actually gave me a definite increase in power and acceleration.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
These are excellent suggestions. However depending on year model of the mustang, you can get decent performance out of the v6 with out going too wild price wise. Granted it's going to cost you for quality pieces, but there are some high hp n/a sixxers running around. As a matter of fact, I know of one thats a 12second mustang (new edge, bolt ons + spray)

I'm not trying to talk you out of going v8, but there are options for building the 6. A good exhaust, a set of headers, gear swap, CAI, UDP... etc. You get the point, if you're interested in the v6 aspect I can give you a few tips and point you in the right direction. Drop me a pm and I'll help you out.
I don't know any of those.......:laugh: How do they get them-there things to go so fast?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah, i have heard of a turbo v6 go low 10's. Crazy huh? Wish i knew who that guy was........:laugh:

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I just bolted on a CAI SHiner, I'm a gunna come a lookin fors ya, loL!

But seriously, I fully plan on keeping my car a 6 banger. My dream so far is to build up a forger 4.2L shortblock and top it off with a SSM Stage 3 power pack, but that is a touch out of reach. Nitrous, a tuner and dual exhaust however.........

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know any of those.......:laugh: How do they get them-there things to go so fast?
Yeah, i have heard of a turbo v6 go low 10's. Crazy huh? Wish i knew who that guy was........:laugh:
Never heard of a V6 going that fast......

Oh you two are funny...:hihi:

Seriously I have a measure of respect for the v6 mustangs that I didn't have before I bought one and started looking to mod it. (Poor single port... I ended up having to M90 it and go from there)

However even as nice as the previous one was, I still love my fox body more.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
However even as nice as the previous one was, I still love my fox body more.
Yeah my V6 is a nice car and it is very reliable, but man I love my fox...

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Foxes are muscular looking to me, but i love the sexy lines of the 99-04. If i had the money, i would own a fox with a 5.0. If i had the 5.0, im not sure if i would stick to modding my v6 or throw some stuff at the 5.0. But then again, people expect a 5.0 to be quick, but most don't even give a second look to a v6. Hmm, ill stick with my v6 and her sexy lines...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.