Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I have my car's oil changed, they put in a new generic filter and generic 5w30. Is there a certain type or brand of oil that is better overall? Or does it really even matter? Is 5w30 what most people use? That's what the shop recommended that I put in there, but I am not sure on that either.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Read your owners manual and see what the recommended weight is. You can then decide if you want to spend the money on synthetic (Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple) or remain with conventional oil. As for filters, I stick with Motorcraft (available at Wal-Mart)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's the problem. I bought the car used and it never had a manual with it. Typically, on other vehicles that I've owned there is some sort of label or sticker near the fan shroud or in the door jam that has the details such as oil weight, tire preasure, etc etc. But my car has none of those either. I've heard of people using different oil weights for different times of the year for winter and summer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a 2000 V6 and my manual says to use 5w30. I use full synthetic as well.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Ford recommends a semisynthetic to achieve the duty rated 200,000 miles. Full synthetic would extend that.

Regular oil, engine life drops quite a bit.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If I were you I would go with MOBILE 1 5W20. its Fully Synthetic and My car has ran with no Oil Problems with that in it AT ALL. I trust it and would NEVER!!! put Conv. Oil in my ride.....Kinda takes the Life out of your ride.
Use Mobile 1 and after time you'll feel a difference and see your engine runing more better and clean.

·
Registered
637 Posts
ya go with synthetic...i use royal purple..as for filters i use [email protected]
Yeah Royal Purple is a Good brand as well.....Dont put that Conv. in your Stang ANYMORE!!! or your car will take a turn for the worst...Kinda like a Divorce....she'll Leave you DRY......Sorry to put it that way but its true. Do you want the Best Performance out of your car. Then do the right thing. get the best for your car.
Weather its a v6 or v8. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do. My car was nearing the 3000 oil change mark, so this weekend I was gonna seafoam it and then get the oil changed shortly afterwards. I'll get the synthetic this time. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
147 Posts
good choice, i use full synthetic oil and it is great. Amsoil 0w-30 and an amsoil filter u can feel the engine being freed up!

·
Registered
213 Posts
yah just wondering... drive a 95 mustang with 140000 KMs and was wondering if switching to synthetic could do any damage to my engine.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Won't do any damage, butyou may lose compression due to cleaning of the varnished cylinder walls . . .

·
Registered
235 Posts
No it won't hurt your engine. One is I don't think I would trust the Mobil 1 claim that you can change your oil every 15,000 miles if you use there full synthetic. I use full synthetic in my car and you can tell a differance.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use 5W-20 for my 04 V6 along with a K&N Oil filter. Usually for oil I just use the motorcraft 5 quart jug of synthetic they have for like 12 bucks. I've never found a need to use the Royal Purple.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Also change the filter for a CAI. The BBK & K&N are both nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.