Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a 2000 mustang a while back and it was totally a lemon engine. Lots of noises and low performance. So i bought a 2004 engine with 7000 miles on it. At this point I do not think there are any mods on it currently.

I want to get ATLEAST 250 hp, if not eventually 300 + with a supercharger.

Is 250 + horsepower feasible without a supercharger? And how much hp does your v6 have with what mods?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
So i bought a 2000 mustang a while back and it was totally a lemon engine. Lots of noises and low performance. So i bought a 2004 engine with 7000 miles on it. At this point I do not think there are any mods on it currently.

I want to get ATLEAST 250 hp, if not eventually 300 + with a supercharger.

Is 250 + horsepower feasible without a supercharger? And how much hp does your v6 have with what mods?

Thanks in advance.
You can get way over 250 hp without a supercharger. That motor has 190 stock. With a CAI (K&N or BBK), headers (BBK shorty's), dual exhaust adapter kit, 2.5" exhaust piping and a set of Magnaflow mufflers, 65mm throttle body, upgraded differential gears from 2.73:1 (stock) to 3.27 or 3.45 gears, underdrive pulleys, and a superchip from Superchips / Home / www.superchips.com would put you over 250. These are just things you can do with limited automotive know-how and without having to get into the engine internals. This would be a good start for you and if you wanted to upgrade your engine internals later, all these mods will work great with whatever you want to do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am good friends with the shop owner, and the engine is at their shop, so i can put any mods i need to on it before i put the engine in. I think this will save me a lot of time and money so they dont have to rip into the engine every time i wanna upgrade something, i will do most of the big things right now.

One of my main concerns is quality parts. I hate buying cheap crap. So i want to make sure i find a website i can trust to buy parts at.

·
Registered
582 Posts
This would be a good time for a cam swap with the 1.73 roller rockers. There are 1.8 RR too if you are staying with the stock cam.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I dont know what im looking for with some of it, because most of the cams I am finding (and heads for that matter) are for 4.0. Since I am using a 2004 engine, which i have seen might be 3.9 instead of 3.8, will 4.0 parts work?

·
Registered
649 Posts
no, the 4.0 and the 3.8/3.9 parts to mix, look up supersixmotorsports, and morana V6

ill post the links up when i get home

250 hp at the wheels will be a feet, but 250 at the crank is much more feesable:thumbup:

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you have the money now would be a good time for an h/c/i since the motor is already out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya i am looking for kits and i cant find anything for v6! ugh. Was looking at trick flow, but they only have 4.6 and 5.0.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
You can get way over 250 hp without a supercharger. That motor has 190 stock. With a CAI (K&N or BBK), headers (BBK shorty's), dual exhaust adapter kit, 2.5" exhaust piping and a set of Magnaflow mufflers, 65mm throttle body, upgraded differential gears from 2.73:1 (stock) to 3.27 or 3.45 gears, underdrive pulleys, and a superchip from Superchips / Home / www.superchips.com would put you over 250. These are just things you can do with limited automotive know-how and without having to get into the engine internals. This would be a good start for you and if you wanted to upgrade your engine internals later, all these mods will work great with whatever you want to do.
Highest Hp w/o a super/turbo/nitrous is 263... Thats not way over 250. The motor has 160rwhp stock. And every mod you just listed won't even get past 180rwhp.

·
Registered
585 Posts
04's are rated at 190 hp (Like 193 specifically I think it is) so where are you gettin the 150 stock number? And how is 263 the absolute max? Each different company you can buy parts from gives a tiny bit different of an effect than the other. . .

EDIT: I know that came out kind of arrogant, but I mean is like 160 the actual number that comes out at the wheels and 190 is just at the crank or what. . .

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
04's are rated at 190 hp (Like 193 specifically I think it is) so where are you gettin the 150 stock number? And how is 263 the absolute max? Each different company you can buy parts from gives a tiny bit different of an effect than the other. . .

EDIT: I know that came out kind of arrogant, but I mean is like 160 the actual number that comes out at the wheels and 190 is just at the crank or what. . .
>
>>
>>> Because the most anybody has gotten out of a 99-04 v6 was 263rwhp. 160 stock RWHP (at the wheels) Crank hp means absolutely nothing....

·
Registered
585 Posts
I know I read about someone on this forum with a 9 second V6. If 260 is all you can run before the bottle and what not, jeebus he must have had the boost and juice turned way up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
my motor is a 4.2 based on a flat tappet block (my car is an '83 stang came with a "whopping" 105Hp) and I used a f-150 rotating assy with .030 over pistons w/ anti-friction cooating, larger valves and a cam sporting .480 lift @valves and 214* duration, with a fully match ported hogged out intake setup for a 4bbl carb and fully ported heads and heavy springs and roller rockers this combo makes 185 at the rear wheels with an AOD auto.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Your better off just going FI and have a built motor that is made for the SC. 250rwhp will be difficult to get out of the six with just bolt-ons.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I disagree, If you take the fact that I have 185 on the ground with an auto and it saps 50HP, 185+ 50 = 235
my cam isnt that agressive either, and a roller motor cam can be made more agressive than a flat tappet cam anyway

FI is just easier to tune (if you have a computer car anyway)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
A stage 2+ or 3 from Super Six Motorsports would get the OP past 250 crank hp. It isn't that hard to reach 250 crank hp...

Get a set of forged internals, throw on a supercharger and go to town with the boost and see what happens. The V6's love boost.

Also if you were to do the 4.2L swap and then get a SSM pack you would see much greater torque returns and a bit higher hp as well. You would start to see bigger hp returns when you started turning up the boost on the 4.2L.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
RWHP... is what you want.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I know the difference between rwhp and crank hp...

The OP asked how to get to 250hp, I took that as 250 crank hp. Seeing as how it is a bit hard to get to 250rwhp without Nitrous or a blower of some sort I gave him my opinion on how to get to 250 crank hp.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I was talking about rwhp. Like said above, rwhp is where it's at and the crank is just for bragging rights;)

1 - 20 of 210 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.