Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone with a MT has tried or does start their car out in 2nd in normal traffic byfeathering the clutch ?? FNGFOG

anybody skip gears in normal driving.. keeping the rpm range in a non luging mode of course...

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Really no point in doing that. it would be alot easier though if you had steeper rear gears. Back in my 05GT with 4.30's, i could take off in second gear as if i was in first gear.
At times I will go 1st, 3rd and then 6th or 1st 2nd 3rd then 6th. But if i was you, i would still use 1st gear.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Really no point in doing that. it would be alot easier though if you had steeper rear gears. Back in my 05GT with 4.30's, i could take off in second gear as if i was in first gear.
At times I will go 1st, 3rd and then 6th or 1st 2nd 3rd then 6th. But if i was you, i would still use 1st gear.
Agreed........you are putting un nessesary strain on your clutch starting like that.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
There is a reason why Ford used such a low first gear in the V6 cars, the torque curve needs it to get started.

·
Registered
121 Posts
anybody skip gears in normal driving.. keeping the rpm range in a non luging mode of course...
On the track (road course) I've always done a 5th to 3rd downshift going from a straight into a turn. It is a non issue as long as you're comfortable doing rev matched downshift. I had a ton of track time on my VW GTI and just sold the car, at 114k, with the original clutch. It still feels strong. No syncro issues either.

When skipping a gear down, it's important to know that you can mechanically over rev the engine with ugly stuff happening after that point.

By the way, I'm soon to have a twin of your car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Granted some may think its a strange question..Some cars and particularly performance cars often have what I call almost a towtruck or stump pulling first gear...FNGFOG:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

And I guess I m actually thinking of not a full dead stop but with a 2-4 5 mph roll IE a stop sign ..barely stopped traffic.THANKS..

·
Registered
670 Posts
Wondering if anyone with a MT has tried or does start their car out in 2nd in normal traffic byfeathering the clutch ?? FNGFOG

I've started in 2nd before no problem but I don't very often. Usually I will go from 3rd to 6th when there's no traffic on my way home. That's most likely laziness kicking in tho haha

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ive also started in 2nd gear a couple times and also started from a 1-2mph roll in 2nd; no real problem, just have to slip the clutch a little (please do not anyone get on my case about some excessive heat build up BS, I know what I'm doing).

·
Registered
160 Posts
I do start from 2nd if I'm in traffic and being lazy so far had no issues and usually when I'm jumping on to hwy I go 1-2-3-6...

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Not worth trying from a dead stop with 2.73's, but I did. Not worth it at all. Use 1st unless your rear gear is deep. A roll from only a few MPH, on the other hand, is decent with 2nd on the 2.73's, as long as you "feather up" the RPM's quickly. It's a fine line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts