Ford Mustang Forum banner

V6 mustang vs. Honda si

18K views 93 replies 27 participants last post by  Muff Muff 
#1 ·
Stock vs stock who do you think would win if honda, what would need to be done to the v6 to win.... this should be interezting...

#3 ·
They have that vtec dispite the 130 pds torque they push thats why. I started this ive been in some that pull pretty damn hard. But i love my mustang so i wanted to see what people knew on this

#5 ·
just the newer honda civic si whatever that new body style is from that and up.

why does the vtec make it accelerate so fast? and wouldnt it have alot more torque from that?

#6 ·
They do the 1/4 mile in 14.9-15 seconds... so they're not that fast. For 2,800 lbs and "V-tec", they are still couch potatoes.

4.0 haters can suck it. They laugh at the 210 hp car, not realizing that the 5.0 fox body was even worse because it was a V8!

#7 ·
They do the 1/4 mile in 14.9-15 seconds... so they're not that fast. For 2,800 lbs and "V-tec", they are still couch potatoes.

4.0 haters can suck it. They laugh at the 210 hp car, not realizing that the 5.0 fox body was even worse because it was a V8!

+1 on that!

i love my v6. even though you know its not the fastest its your car and thats what makes you love it.

i just purchased jba wires, screamin demon coils, jlt cai and sct tuner. along with short tube headers.

anyone that has done any of these. can you give a detailed description on what difference this made from stock to you? thanks!

#8 ·
The JLT and SCT tuner will give you a big increase in acceleration and throttle response. The shorty headers will give you minimal gains on the 4.0. As far as the SD and Livewires, I have heard they help a little and I have heard there is no difference, maybe someone who has done it can chime in on those. With that said you shouldn't have a problem with the Honda :bigthumbsup

#10 ·
I dont get why i hear hype from all these tuner kids one thing that made me question this is i did see one beat a mustang gt 08 and the honda didnt have f/i

#11 ·
If I'm right, the reason why honda moves fast, its because it has a rotoray engine like the ones in Mazda... Those engines are no joke...I heard it was used in NASCAR in the early 90's and was banded because it was leaving a lot of people in the dust. For example, VW pistons are laying flat (from the models i have seen). But that rotaray engine is called a Winkel engine (if I spelled it right) Over all, the value of a Mustang, well taken care of with the right color will always out shine any foriegn crap... unless its a high end exocit car.

#12 ·
That sounds right. My friend has one and when i sat in it and the vtec kicked it actually constantly had me pushed back and got me wondering if it woukd beat my mustang

#13 ·
No Hondas use a rotary engine. All Civic's, including the Si, use an inline 4 cylinder. The reason why they feel so quick is beacuse they are small light cars. The VTEC they have is just a form of variable cam timing. A lot of cars use similar technology (including the 4.6 and new 3.7 and 5.0) It works by changing the valve timing on the intake and exhaust valves. The PCM can decide when to hold valves open longer and does so by using different lobes on the camshaft. As far as I know there was never a rotary engine in NASCAR, I thought they all used V8 pushrod engines with carburetors

#14 ·
Is there some kind of tune for this for our mustangs?

#15 ·
Does anyone have Any experience against an si?

I'm so curious to the difference a tuner and cai make on a car I want to hear someones detailed experience with this

#16 ·
I think the horsepower/ weight ratio must be considered... not to mention aerodynamics.

Also, each model has a high end and a low end range.
The 2006 Honda Civic Si has: 0-60 mph in 6.2 & Quarter Mile in 14.7.
The 2009 Honda Civic LX-S has 0-60 mph in 9.7 & Quarter Mile in 17.4.
The 2005 Ford Mustang V6 has 0-60 mph in 6.8 & Quarter Mile in 15.1.
The 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0: 0-60 mph in 4.5 & Quarter Mile in 13.0.

You get what you pay for!

#17 ·
My friend has a Civic si with a Vtec timer in it. I have a tuner which is comparable.

Anyway I beat him every time. His is manual so sometimes I beat him by a lot and sometimes just by a little but I've never lost yet. :bigthumbsup

#18 ·
when you look at the graphics of the little civic it has the V-tech DOHC. Our 4.0 has the singe over head cam, the 3.7 has dual; which helps it up to the 300 horse. As far as cam replacements for the 4.0, I've looked around a little and there are some that can help with performance. But you've gotta have one heckofa checkbook for something that won't get you as much gain as F/I. I know that just racing people around town that the 4.0 can handle a lot of pickups with glasspacks (which don't add much; eg. chevy 1500, F-150, chevy 3500 dually) of course I didn't sit down afterwards and chat with them, I was too far down the block :winks. As for cars, I haven't raced much. A monte lt 2004 maybe? is totally owned by the 4.0; the monte ss intimidator is owned rolling at 30mph; the scion tc gets its butt handed to itself with a mouthfull of asphault; a probably 2002 (year??) pontiac grand am gt (3.5) is about like a bicycle; other than that, I don't have the willpower to race the rebuilt trans ams running around town with ram air kits and the (347? CI) v8 engine. Until I get F/I they'll have to race their ghost lol

#23 ·
Did a bit more research specific to the original poster's question.

A current version Honda Civic Si will do 0-60 in the mid-6s. I have seen as slow as 6.7 seconds or as fast as 6.3, so it could be a toss-up on any given situation. Add a tuner, CAI and other mods and you increase your chances.

#24 ·
Against a new civic Si and an 05-09 V6 mustang, it's really down to the driver and who gets off the line first. they are pretty close.

As stated above the honda engines run alot higher rpm. And when built up even without F/I they can get some pretty decent numbers, compound that with the fact that the models you will likely be running against (civics/integras) tend to weigh around 3,000 pounds or less and you've got a pretty quick feeling car.

I had a 92 accord and while I didn't have a whole lot of mods on it, even stock with an F22 engine in it, it felt like a really big go-kart.

#32 ·
i raced a 2007 or somthing (new model) Si that had a CAI and i was stock (2009 v6 manual tranny). He got me from first but when i hit second i sucked him up and hit 85 with him about 3 car lengths behind. Just to give you some background, I believe the internet says our v6 cars run the 1/4 in about 15.2, my first time to the track i hit a 15.002. I added a CAI and a 93 octane tune and when i went back, same track, same time of year/temperature etc... i hit a 14.78 as my best. I've been driving race cars since i was 13 though (my dad's 600 hp Rx 7) so i have a lot of experience driving. I get really bad 60 ft's at the track with my car though, so in a drag, it would be worth it to add a good amount of suspension mods to your car. And definitely get t-lok and 255's at least.

#34 ·
#35 ·
Your car should beat an SI civic in a straight line. A guy at my old job bought one around the same time i got my car one day he was going on and on about how his car would kill mine cause of VTEC so we lined up and i killed him 3 out of 3 races. You have to remember our cars have over 110 pounds of torque more then the SI and we hit our peak faster then those cars do they hit there peak around the 6000 mark cause they rev to like 8000

#36 ·
well i just ordered a.m.'s sct jlt cai along with some screamon demon coils and jlt spark plugs, after that i plan on going to the track to test it out. my buddy has a 2006 acura with a i believe b24 engine vtec in it with some headers and air intake, and his buddy has a newer honda si with some headers and air intake as well. kinda curious to see how my car will do against them and how my launch difference will be compared to stock after i get these put in.

can anyone with these bolt ons give any idea what to expect?
my car is also manual :)

oh! i took of my stock muffler, you definitally feel it pick up alot fast after the 3000rpm power band kicks in i was actually really surprised :)

#43 ·
this post got alot of views really quick. seems like this is an interesting subject for alot of people, anyone elses thoughts please chime in information never hurts:bigthumbsup

#47 ·
I ran stock against a 2008 Civic Si with manual tranny... First run was from a roll ~25mph.. neck and neck with the Honda pulling slightly until we were over 80. Second was from a dead stop, Honda left the line first as I spun, but pulled her in right away and ended up several car lengths ahead in the end... This was done on a closed runway by the way.... no street race with the speeds we were hitting... :nono:

#48 ·
Is yor v6 the 4.0?

#50 ·
Has anyone used the torque tune from the sct tuner

#52 ·
comparing a gtr vs a mustang is a joke...
the import cars have to produce more power with smaller displacement, they are taxed on larger displacement.
the gtr does the Nuremberg ring at 7:26.70
a corvette does it in 7:26.4 with stock tires..
every car has a place
although a boss mustang vs a m3....

#53 ·
Well let's just keep iron the topic of 4.0 vs the si vtec, no disrespect to you or anything

So vie been doing a bit of research, what gains could you expect from porting and polishing cams? And what would this cost be, does anyone know or have experience

#55 ·
2010 weighs very little more than the 05-09. The GT weighs about 15lbs more and the V6 about 35lbs more. Most of the weight is from wheels and the rear sway bar

#56 ·
Hows the jlt cai and tuner? I just ordered mine and cant wait... just talked to my buddy with the si he wants to race at the track after i install them:gringreen

#58 ·
i say a stock 4.0 vs a stock si, the si will win everytime unless theres a driver error. vtec is the best thing honda ever did to there motors, its a 50hp push at a certain rpm range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.