Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay guys, break it to me... is it really worth putting money into my 02 v6 mustang convertible automatic trans?? Im really attached to my car; it was my first real freedom machine! Im torn between dumping money into her, or just save up and buying a faster car. Now heres the thing.... I AM KEEPING THIS CAR TILL THE DAY I DIE! Sooo if i even wanted to maker her faster, should i! i feel it will be "Itll never be the same" moment when im old and cranky.....I feel like i have the bug (to make things faster) give me some facts about Performance on v6 Mustangs. How should i spend my money!!!??

**When im talking about mone, im talking about REAL money. The ratio of Money to HP is too darn high these days i know!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
the only way to get a real nice power gain is to build the engine and use a power adder. THis will cost a minimum of 5k or so if you are really good at sourcing parts, or may be a bit cheaper if you can fab and do ALL labor your self. It is more economical to buy a GT as you will spend almost the cost of one to get an engine build that will perform as well as the stock engine in one. THat said, I have a turbo and built engine on the way for mine so hey what the hell, do it if you want!

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
If you look at things in black and white, no it's not worth modding. However, worth, is determined by far more than cost and power so how fun the car is to drive and how much it means to you can make it worth it whereas someone else would not think so. If you plan to keep the car until it dies, by all means, mod the heck out of it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If you're looking for the best bang for buck, getting a tuner, CAI and gears/ limited slip are the best. Depending on labour costs, parts and labour should be in the $1200-1500 range total, and you won't have a lightning fast car, but you'll have a nice car that has some get up and go. If I were to do gears over again, i'd go 4.10's. Your highway revs will be higher, but unless you drive a ton on the highway (I don't), the revs really aren't much higher than the 3.73's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i do want some good power. i am leaning more towards just saving and getting a gt, or possibly my cousins vette. Im happy with the power it has now, and modifying anything will seem unkosher later on in life!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I AM KEEPING THIS CAR TILL THE DAY I DIE!
All the younging say that, I've even said the same thing. Trust me in a few years that car will be a distant memory. You'll find something cooler/newer/faster or you'll get bored with the color... anything pretty much. It's not your brother who tragically died project 67 mustang coupe. It's a dime a dozen V6 vert auto. When you move on to a faster car you will not want to spend another dime on that thing. Spending your spare cash on performance mods on your GT vs $1,000 to replace the rotted top on your V6 vert? Hmmmm

But to your original point, sounds like you already have your mind made up :) When you do upgrade, go for a hardtop and manual trans if you want it fast as possible. Manual = more power to the wheels (less loss). Hardtop = lighter ---> faster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts