Ford Mustang Forum banner

V6 to GT Brake Upgrade

33K views 215 replies 25 participants last post by  blowndeadline 
#1 ·
OK. I got this idea from the one and only Ltngdrvr's thread about upgading the v6's brakes with the GT's larger rotors. I had to get the larger caliper bracket for the larger rotor and the cheapest I could find was 66 bucks a piece. Instead I found an almost brand new pair of complete GT calipers from roush for 75 bucks! A steal for sure. Purchased the 13.2 inch rotors from Saleen for around 50 bucks for both.Again they said with less than 5 miles on them. Another steal. EBC redstuff pads for around 90 bucks.I painted the calipers black with the brush on Duplicolor kit then applied my ricer Roush stickers.Hold the poser comments as I think they make the brakes look way better. 4 coats of clear and let it all dry before assembly. Easy upgrade and a nice improvement in braking power on a budget. Thanks Ltngdrvr!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Oh yeah,from Roush. I am still a self proclaimed ricer! I just couldn't help it as I thought it looked pretty damn cool. Painted my rear calipers black as well. They were red but it kind of looked cheap in a way. Like this MUCH better.

#3 ·
Nice brakes and nice socks!

I heard the TCS might misbehave with the increased bite/brake pressure, let us know if it gets funky in slidey turns man.

#6 ·
Ha! Yeah sorry about the hoof. Not sure of the part#'s. If you call Roush just make sure they are calipers off a 2011 or 2012 GT with the brackets. Any earlier GT and it is the same size we already have. I may have gotten lucky as well as everything I ordered looked brand spanking new! Really can't believe it. Now I have an extra set of calipers to mess with. Maybe paint a different color or something for whenever in the future I change the pads again.

#11 ·
A little brake dust at first because the pads have a break in material on them. They feel great. The reason I went ahead and did this was due to the fact that I had a slight grinding coming from my front right wheel while braking. As I was going to replace all the pads I figured I would give this a shot.Glad I did. When I took the front right apart nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I think it must have been something actually wrong with the pad itself.Still had plenty of life left.I have the Performance Package with the upgraded brake pads and was actually impressed with how much material was left on the pad. Had I not gotten the noise I probably wouldn't have done this. Glad it made some noise. Fills up the 19'' wheel a little better too!

#9 ·
Would like to know this as well.

#140 ·
I traded in my 2004 Crown Vic a couple of weeks ago (to get a Mustang), and it had 106.5K miles on it, and it was STILL on the original brakes.

40K miles ain't no thang. :)

#14 ·
Okay, can I say "I told you so" now?

I knew this would be the easiest and cheapest big brake upgrade for the V6 cars.

And this same setup will bolt onto any 2005 and later car, so 2010 and earlier GT guys can even do this upgrade to 2011+ GT spec brakes.

COOL BEANS!!!:bigthumbsup

G
#23 ·
They confirmed they are from the 5.0, so I ordered a set. Just waiting to hear back what size those rotors are for $50. I priced everything new through Tousley and these are a steal. I don't even think I could replace my regular brakes this cheap so why not upgrade when I have to replace them anyway.

#24 ·
So to get my v6 to have GT brakes I need these Calipers:
Calipers

and what else?

G
#25 ·
You'll need the larger rotors and pads as well. The rotors Roush had listed were from the old GT, so don't buy them. They do have some in stock but have to process and re-list them. I am supposed to get a call as soon as that happens and will let you know when they are up on ebay. I believe the rotors will go for $50 shipped. Not bad considering all of it retail would be around $500 and you're getting the calipers and rotors for $125.

#26 ·
Thank you. I was confused as to where the rotors were since I only saw 05-12 Rear rotors on there.

Quick side question that may lead to an abrupt thread jacking...

Has anyone ordered the painted hood scoop from the ? I see they have the Grabber blue one for 299 painted ( which is a steal) so I want to know what the quality would be.

G
#27 ·
I love the scoop, but almost every one of them I see has gaps or becomes gapped later on. Not sure if it is a design issue or the type of adhesive they use. Not really sure if that answered your question though lol.

#28 ·
I love the scoop as well, I've never actually seen one up close though but I just love the way it looks.

As for my question, I wanted to know more specifically how the paint job and quality of the received item would be like from Roush.

#35 ·
I do not now the actual feet from 60mph but it certainly does feel as though it bites harder and stops better. Defininately doesn't hurt and at those total prices it is worth it just to fil the wheels up a little better.

#36 ·
Now that I have done something to officially help the community does my griping about how my car shifts and my clunking flywheel gain some credibility? Ha! Ha!

G
#37 ·
I just wondering if the pad isn't any larger, what is the purpose of using a larger rotor? I'm putting it all on my car when I get it but mainly for looks. If there is a performance benefit that's great. I'm guessing there would be since the GT uses them and the V6 doesn't and the GT is heavier up front.

G
#41 ·
I'm looking for something maybe in between the two. I realize lifetime pads aren't going to be performance oriented. On the other hand I put a lot of miles on so I don't want to replace pads every six months either.

#42 ·
This is why I settled on the EBC Redstuff pads. Right in the middle and equal to if not better than the pads that come with the Performance Package. And honestly they are pretty large pads. I couldn't imagine anything much bigger on a car. Even big brake kits do not increase pad size too much, if at all ,they increase the number of pistons pushing on the pads, which increases clamp force.

#44 ·
NAPA has some proprietary ceramic pads made for them by Satisfied, they are a dual compound pad, inside pad compound is made for superior braking while the outside pad is formulated for low dust and they are lifetime warranty.

Just another option to consider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.