Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

V6 to Homemade Cobra?

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  97gtcdunk 
#1 ·
I am trying to build my own cobra and i have a few questions for an expert.

1. I have a stock 97 SOHC 4.6 and a set of InTech 32v heads I am wondering if it its possible to bolt on the heads to the SOHC block. I have been told by a novice engine mechanic that is is possible with cobra guts such as intake, timing cover, etc... but i am kinda scepticle of whether it would work or not.

2. What modifications will i have to make to a 99-04 v6 to slide that motor in after the built.

If anyone has any input i would love to hear it.

Thank you

#2 ·
it will NEVER be a true cobra.

the motor should sit in fine

#3 ·
theres a lot more to a cobra then a 32v v8, theres IRS, different transmissions (03-04 have a 6speed) the exterior is different, the brakes are urgraded, the interior has different gauges and a lot of small things that are different. to clone a cobra the right way is going to cost a ton.

the 4v block and the 2v block are different so i dnt see the use in putting 32v heads on a sohc block (even if it is possible)

#4 ·
with the time and money id just go buy one!

#6 ·
rabbit atleast u got a motor in your car!

#7 ·
How much of your car do you want to be like a cobra? Yes the heads will fit, surprised nobody confirmed that yet. But the extra parts needed to add dohc heads to the sohc block are gonna nickel and dime you big time. Its always the little stuff that make costs out of control. You will need different front cover, timing chains plus additional chains for the extra cams, different intake, throttle body, plunum, water crossover pipe, radiator hoses ect just to put the dohc heads on the sohc engine. You will need a 4.6 sohc or dohc trans at a minimum to get your wheels to turn with the engine. Mounts, ecu programmed to current keys or have new keys cut to match car and programmed for new ecu, and wiring harness. The front suspension will need gt springs at a minimum due to the additional weight. The rear 7.5" axle won't live long with the power of a v8. Although v6 and gt brakes are the same so you can still stop like you can now just not as fast as a cobra. If you just want to go really fast sell the v6 get a gt and bolt on a vortech, but it still won't handle as well as nor stop as quickly as a cobra. The main thing your v6 and cobra have in common are the shell, other than that its mostly different parts.

#14 ·
hasnt this subject been pretty much beat to death by now?

cobra conversion of any kind = not cost effective = not worth extreme time and effort.
and not truley possible

#18 ·
I have to agree with 05horse on this one. It will never be a Cobra. Why? Because the VIN number will forever say V6!

IMO, this simple fact will make it difficult/impossible to recoup the $$ spent should the OP decide to sell in the future.

However, ppl do things all the time that don't make $$ sense. My point, is "do the project for the right reasons". If the main reason is "to save $$", or "it's cheaper than buying the real deal" or something to that effect, well... frankly the project is already in a hole.

Sooner or later, someone will post up something like this:

>>
The engine and transmission in my 2003 V6 are completely shot. However, the rest of the car is in perfect condition.

My Father/Mother/brother/outer space alien has a wrecked 2003 Cobra. The car's frome is completely toast but the engine and all running gear are fine. They are so upset about the wreck that they are giving the Cobra to me just to take it way.

Do you guys think this will make a good project to swap into my V6?
<<

To this post my answer would be "yes".

#19 ·
sorry have been sick anyways. first off shelby does not make the 99-04 cobra SVT or special vehicles team does second ive changed my mind about the true cobra look im going to buy the v6 and keep the v6 look go with a t-56 tranny build my 4v 4.6 take a 8.8 out of a 07 mustang with 3.73s in it and have a sleeper creeper. think it would be pretty dissapointing to think you got whooped by a v6 with a loud muffler? I think so. Might make some money for all the money i spend on the 4v. im 20 yrs old my insurance is outrageous i would love to be paying insurance for a v6 instead of a gt or cobra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.