Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 mustang cobra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
So im trying to swap my rear end on my v6 because im throwing a 5.0 in to it. Would i have to swap the whole rear end or can i just change diffs? The gt rear end would be out of a 94 gt.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I assume that you have a whole 1994 GT parts car? Because you'd really need one to do a v8 swap into the v6. There are too many parts needed to get to make such a conversion possible. Computer and wiring, exhaust, trans, driveshaft, axle, suspension, engine compartment harnesses, etc, etc.
The diffs aren't swappable on a 7.5" to an 8.8". Those measurements refer to the actual diff diameter and the housings accommodate only what they were designed for. You'd need to take out the entire axle and use the v8 springs front and rear along with the sway bars.
What year is this v6 project?

·
Registered
1995 mustang cobra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume that you have a whole 1994 GT parts car? Because you'd really need one to do a v8 swap into the v6. There are too many parts needed to get to make such a conversion possible. Computer and wiring, exhaust, trans, driveshaft, axle, suspension, engine compartment harnesses, etc, etc.
The diffs aren't swappable on a 7.5" to an 8.8". Those measurements refer to the actual diff diameter and the housings accommodate only what they were designed for. You'd need to take out the entire axle and use the v8 springs front and rear along with the sway bars.
What year is this v6 project?
I figured i needed the full axle. The v6 is a 95.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I figured i needed the full axle. The v6 is a 95.
I don't think that you read my post thoroughly. It's a lot more than just an axle that you need to do a v8 swap in a v6 car.
Is the v6 car that's getting this 5.0L going to be carbureted or will it use the factory Ford fuel injection from another 5.0L?

·
Registered
1995 mustang cobra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think that you read my post thoroughly. It's a lot more than just an axle that you need to do a v8 swap in a v6 car.
Is the v6 car that's getting this 5.0L going to be carbureted or will it use the factory Ford fuel injection from another 5.0L?
I have everything for the swap. The only reason im asking about the axles is because i didnt want the one wheel burnouts with the stock v6 rear end. Just wanted to know if there is a easier way to do it without welding my diff or changing the whole rear. The 5.0 is factory fuel injected. The block is basically bone stock besides e cam and rebuilt headers.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I have everything for the swap. The only reason im asking about the axles is because i didnt want the one wheel burnouts with the stock v6 rear end. Just wanted to know if there is a easier way to do it without welding my diff or changing the whole rear. The 5.0 is factory fuel injected. The block is basically bone stock besides e cam and rebuilt headers.
How did you get "everything" for the swap?
Welding the differential isn't an option on a street car and is never really a particularly good idea on a drag strip car either(that's what they make spools for when you bring a trailered car to the strip). Limited amounts of turning is one thing on a race car. Trying to drive a car on the streets around turns with a solid connection like that would be A) dangerous and B) likely to break something sooner rather than later.
If you're using the fuel injection then you need computer and the complete wiring with everything that goes with it from the same basic setup car that the motor came out of. This is why I said that you need a v8 parts car. There are a LOT of things that must be changed over on the v6 car to make it work with a v8. It's a very involved and laborious process to do on a computer controlled fuel injected vehicle. It's not as simple or easy as it seems on the multitude of TV shows out there since this isn't a more basic vintage car from the 60s or 70s.
For instance, if you run a v8 with v6 suspension then you're car will be a total cream puff going around turns, during braking, and even acceleration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts