Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i'm new to the forums, however, a long time browser. I recently bought a new 2005 Mustang V6, redfire clearcoat. Now i have about $1500 to add aftermarket upgrades. I'm trying to go for Street Racing, so better accel and hp. With my budget, what would you suggest?

Thanks to all who view and reply,

Gio

Edit: forgot to mention it's automatic... all i could find in my area... :weeps

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Ford Racing T-lok with 4:10 gears should do yo unicely to start, that will run damn near $1000 for the complete install.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Best bang for the buck with the automatic is going to be an SCT X-Cal2. It will make an absolute night and day difference. Have you tried doing a burnout yet? Bet all you can manage is the slightest chirp.... An X-Cal2 will remove the torque limiter, dramatically increase throttle response and firm up the shifts... Actually I've been tweaking my shift schedule and now my tranny is incredibly sporty... (I'm no longer in 3rd gear at 16MPH! LOL!)

Lidio at Alternative Auto is now offering X-Cal2 for the V-6. Give them a call at (586) 463-0010. (http://www.alternativeauto.com/index.html)

BTW... while I couldn't get my car to do a burnout when I first got it... With Lidio's tune I'm now chirpping my oversized (28 inch OD) tires on my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts! His 89 Octance Tune shaved .25 off my 0-60 time over the competitors 93 Octane tune...

While I agree gears and a T-Lok are a good upgrade... I just got mine yesterday! I'm wondering if 4.10s are a little much... With my oversized tires the 4.10s are almost too much... I'm thinking with stock tires 3.73 might be better... more on this later...

Oh.. the other upgrade to do right away... get rid of that stock muffler! Get a single cat-back exhaust... I went with the Magnaflow but other are doing the JBA... The MAC has a 4 inch tip, which I find to be bit much...

You can check out this stuff at www.v6mustangstuff.com

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
fishingjts said:
Best bang for the buck with the automatic is going to be an SCT X-Cal2. It will make an absolute night and day difference. Have you tried doing a burnout yet? Bet all you can manage is the slightest chirp.... An X-Cal2 will remove the torque limiter, dramatically increase throttle response and firm up the shifts... Actually I've been tweaking my shift schedule and now my tranny is incredibly sporty... (I'm no longer in 3rd gear at 16MPH! LOL!)

Lidio at Alternative Auto is now offering X-Cal2 for the V-6. Give them a call at (586) 463-0010. (http://www.alternativeauto.com/index.html)

BTW... while I couldn't get my car to do a burnout when I first got it... With Lidio's tune I'm now chirpping my oversized (28 inch OD) tires on my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts! His 89 Octance Tune shaved .25 off my 0-60 time over the competitors 93 Octane tune...

While I agree gears and a T-Lok are a good upgrade... I just got mine yesterday! I'm wondering if 4.10s are a little much... With my oversized tires the 4.10s are almost too much... I'm thinking with stock tires 3.73 might be better... more on this later...

Oh.. the other upgrade to do right away... get rid of that stock muffler! Get a single cat-back exhaust... I went with the Magnaflow but other are doing the JBA... The MAC has a 4 inch tip, which I find to be bit much...

You can check out this stuff at www.v6mustangstuff.com

Oversized tires = lower rear gear ratio. 4.10s with oversized tires equates to less that 4.10 for drag radials it comes down to 3.73-3.90, depending on the tire.

Smaller tire wheel combos increase the rear ratio.

People always make that mistake, & it's how I beat a LOT of big blocks in the 80's with 14" wheels and 60 series tires.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Kuruption said:
Hello, i'm new to the forums, however, a long time browser. I recently bought a new 2005 Mustang V6, redfire clearcoat. Now i have about $1500 to add aftermarket upgrades. I'm trying to go for Street Racing, so better accel and hp. With my budget, what would you suggest?

Thanks to all who view and reply,

Gio

Edit: forgot to mention it's automatic... all i could find in my area... :weeps
For the money, I'd go with a higher stall converter, a street cam, a chip, headers and rear gears.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Probably the easiest and cheapest thing to do right off is your intake. You get a few extra horses and the sound of your engine is improved also ^_^
Then go from there with the gears, etc.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
mac_mogul said:
Probably the easiest and cheapest thing to do right off is your intake. You get a few extra horses and the sound of your engine is improved also ^_^
Then go from there with the gears, etc.
The problem with this is you still have all the torque limiters that Ford has built in... The 05 V6 automatic can barely get the tires to chirp power braking... so you are not getting the full peformance potential of any of your mods until you get rid of the stock program from Ford... That's why I would go with a tuner first... You're talking about a gain of 20 ft/lbs of torque over stock...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
kscoyote said:
Oversized tires = lower rear gear ratio. 4.10s with oversized tires equates to less that 4.10 for drag radials it comes down to 3.73-3.90, depending on the tire.

Smaller tire wheel combos increase the rear ratio.

People always make that mistake, & it's how I beat a LOT of big blocks in the 80's with 14" wheels and 60 series tires.
yep.. understand... that's why i'm think 3.73s would probably be better for stock tires..

Tell me more about torque converter and higher stall and what it means to me... my tuner suggested replacing the torque converter with one with the higher stall of around 500RPM... how does this affect performance? Just curious.... thanks!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
fishingjts said:
The problem with this is you still have all the torque limiters that Ford has built in... The 05 V6 automatic can barely get the tires to chirp power braking... so you are not getting the full peformance potential of any of your mods until you get rid of the stock program from Ford... That's why I would go with a tuner first... You're talking about a gain of 20 ft/lbs of torque over stock...
yeah, + you'll need the programmer to do anything else substantial. If you've got a chunk of change, go BIG, you can always do the small stuff later!

Otherwise, go for efficiency 1st then move to power. you'll save money in the long run, this way.

re: stall -

http://carcraft.com/techarticles/80098/

Basically, you raise the RPMs at which you can powerbrake and multiply torque more efficiently.

Interesting new tech:

http://www.autogeek.com/ag_News.asp?NewsID=4

·
Registered
174 Posts
fishingjts said:

This kinda perked my interest before when you said you couldn't spin your tires with the stock configuration. Is it because the 05's have the built in traction lock?
I could melt my right tire if I wanted to, and I'm just confused as to why you say you can barely chirp your tires. :?:

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
mac_mogul said:
This kinda perked my interest before when you said you couldn't spin your tires with the stock configuration. Is it because the 05's have the built in traction lock?
I could melt my right tire if I wanted to, and I'm just confused as to why you say you can barely chirp your tires. :?:
It's the computer map to keep the powertrain intact for 200,000 miles.

it limits the torque at low rpm to reduce stress on the u/cv-joints & tranny.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
kscoyote said:
It's the computer map to keep the powertrain intact for 200,000 miles.

it limits the torque at low rpm to reduce stress on the u/cv-joints & tranny.
yep... that's the answer I got from my buddy who's an engineer at Ford... I was harassing him, why did you put in a torque limiter... his exact response was, "To make sure your drive train makes it through the warranty period... " LOL!

BTW, thanks for the TC links!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.